1. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    My mom, grandparents and I all all live/own land on the same street. A house went up for sale next to my mom's house and she decided to buy it just so that condos wouldn't go up on it. It was a house (a cottage, really), a barn and a chicken coop. The chicken coop was COVERED in weeds and vines but hubby took his weed eater over there today and he finally got to see the inside of it. He just called me with the measurements (drumroll, please!)... it's 15'x8' (and 7 feet tall)!!!!! It's all concrete block with hardware wire covering the windows. There's also an all wire hutch (like a rabbit hutch) that would be perfect for a broody pen that is 8'x4'. I could not believe it!!!

I'm going to start breeding bantam cochins so this could not have come at a better time. I'm already envisioning building a second level in the coop to allow me 6 or so breeding pens total depending on what my needs are in the future. And then I would do a run and let the groups of breeders take turns in it. We have a million predators around here (including dogs... the only daytime predator except for hawks) so I can't let them range at all unfortunately.

Anyway, I'll post pics as soon as I can get over there. I just had to share with y'all! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  2. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Yaaay:weee Good for you! I guess you wont be moving it to your house though![​IMG]

3. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Very nice--you did hit the jackpot! Congratulations! [​IMG] Sounds like it'll be perfect for your cochin breeding project.

4. highcountrychickens

highcountrychickens Head Rooster Jouster

Aug 28, 2008
    Jackson Hole
    Congratulations!! OO That's so exciting! Can you post photos? [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

5. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Can't wait to see pix! You are just too lucky! Sounds like a wonderful building and so close to your house.[​IMG]

6. 1_FnkyFrm

1_FnkyFrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Knoxville, Tn
    Congrats on the new coop!.. What part of knoxville are you in?

7. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Fantastic!! Do post pictures!

8. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    I'm in South Knoxville. How 'bout you? [​IMG]

Here's some pics:

the outside:
    [​IMG]

view from the door:
    [​IMG]

view to the left of the door:
    [​IMG]

the wire pen:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. tri-5-ron

tri-5-ron Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Orange County
    Wow ! that thing looks more like FORT KNOX-ville !!! LOL!
    I guess you wont be having any predator problems !!!
    Congrats !

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  10. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO lots of potential. Good solid door. May need some paint to help keep it from rotting. Windows look good for ventilation. Reinforce to be safe. Nice little pen to start with but you know with that coop it's gonna have to be made bigger!!

Paint Paint Paint! Time to hit up Lowe's and Home Depot's mistints. I see a pretty pale yellow background with pictures and murals of happy chickens and dancing eggs with little feet sticking out. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooo such potential!!!

HAVE FUN!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by