1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Jacksonville, Florida Chicken Owners NEEDED!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Shared Acres, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Not sure where else to put this!

The Florida Times Union is looking for people IN the city limits who own chickens in their backyard for a story.

Would prefer a variety of people, ie:
    small farm/several varieties of animals, but mostly interested in those who have them in their neighborhoods
    NEWBIES welcome!
    If you have them inside or use chicken diapers, that would be awesome too.

Planning on doing a story about why you have them, why/when you got started.

MESSAGE ME if you'd be interested. I can't promise you that you'll all be in there or anything as we need to get a variety of people. Really would like to have a mixture of people who've had them for a long time AND just now got into them.

Please note, that when selected I will interview you and will need to go to some of your houses to see your flock and take pics.

If you know people who aren't on here but fit this, feel free to have them contact me, my work email is: WritingArticles ON aol. (Didn't write it out because of spammers.)

2. Shared Acres

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    So dissapointed I didn't hear from anyone!

Anyone?

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I don't know how many Jax people are on here, sorry you didn't hear from anybody ,,,[​IMG]

4. Trollkiller

Trollkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Lake Como, Fl. 32157
    It is Christmas so I am betting most people are not online. You will have better luck tomorrow.

5. AilsVonHelson

AilsVonHelson Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    Orlando, FL.
    I bet if you gave it a few more days someone would be out there. x] Hope you find someone.[​IMG]

6. Shared Acres

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    I hope so too.

Looks like (editor's decision) I'm writing this in first person with some quotes and people in the area who are doing it as well.

I have a guy I sold 2 chicks two for pets that wants to do it. Hoping to find someone who also bought chickens for eggs.

Anyone know any experts on the subject here in Fla or in Jax?

7. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    This is just me asking, but isn't owning chickens in the city limits an illegal act? Could these people be made "anonymous" for their own protection?

8. Shared Acres

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    I would assume that would depend on the city and not all cities are the same.

Edited to say: Most newspapers do NOT like people to be anonymous. Think about it this way, if you read a bunch of news articles with a supposed anonymous person, you would suspect that the paper was making people up.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2008
  9. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    True....but depending on the city ordinances...the story might put the flock owners at risk of losing their flocks.

10. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    i live in palatka/hollister florida and i have one chicken named clairese that sleeps in the house shes not a chicken she thinks she is a person lol:lol:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by