JACKSONVILLE, FLORIDA SWAP at BENT CREEK------IMPORTANT, PLEASE READ

Discussion in 'Chickenstocks, Shows, Meet-Ups' started by Shared Acres, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Songster

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    I went into Bent Creek yesterday and because I'm the one who initiated the first swap I kind of got an earful and need to make you guys aware of some issues.

First and foremost, the owners of Bent Creek are NOT charging anyone to set up. Please show them some respect.

The owner said he had several people complain about there being only one bathroom, or the bathroom being dirty or that he should have a porta potty outside. The owners DO NOT charge anyone to buy or sell, remember this. If you don't like the bathroom, DON'T USE IT. They only have a packed house ONE DAY A MONTH, they are NOT building another bathroom. If you don't have anything nice to say, keep it to yourself.

They are NOT typically open on Sundays and only open the last Sunday of the month to allow for the swaps and also in hopes of making a couple of sales (they are a small FAMILY run business.)

Please do NOT:
    1-Be rude or say harsh things to the owners.
    2-If you don't like the bathrooms, HOLD IT. Their bathroom was meant for their family and they are being nice enough to let you use it, they could say no. If the toilet paper is out, that's fine ask. But otherwise, be polite.

And, please, as a common courtesy...
    3-Clean up after yourself, put trash in the garbage.
    4-BUY from them, they are supporting you, help support them!

Also, someone apparently told the owner he needed to rent a porta potty. If he has to do that, guess who will be paying for it? YOU!

The family who owns Bent Creek is a nice family, please treat them with respect. The father seemed rather upset, to the point where he was so offended that the swap meets may stop if people can't be nice and understanding.

I am hoping that the people who offended him are NOT BYC members. So this Sunday, please talk to your fellow swap members and remind them that this family is nice enough to do this for them, be nice back, otherwise the swap meets at Bent Creek may end.

2. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Songster

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    INFO ON THE SWAP FOR THOSE WHO NEED IT:

LAST Sunday of the month, every month, 9am-1ish

Bent Creek Feed
    10777 103rd St
    Jacksonville, FL
    (904) 777-3838

Located about a block East of Chaffee/Brannan Field/SR 23.

Bring your chickens, livestock, crafts, yard sale items, and most importantly yourselves!

The store is typically not open on Sundays, but they will be open for us and advertise the swap to their customers.

Feel free to make your own flyers and pass them out at swap meets, or post on Craigslist, etc. This is a community thing that benefits all of us, let's do this as a group. Thank you for all your help!

Parking
    Those who are selling: Park in the Bent Creek Feed Store parking lot. If you prefer or would like to be nice, drop your stuff off in a spot and park next door.

Those who are buying/looking: Please park in the strip center parking lot next door, so that we can have room at Bent Creek for the vendors.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with Christy,

Quote:Here is a map for anyone who needs it] --->> MAP[/B]
    (904) 777-3838

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  4. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Songster

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Thank you. Hopefully everyone will get the message!

5. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Songster

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    Christy One of the other swaps has all the vendors register. He then hands out a set of guidelines He does not charge a selling fee either but this way he has everyones names and email address He usually emails with specials he is having and a reminder of when his enxt swap is. This is alittle work but it might just bring in additional business for them as well.

6. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Songster

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    I know they do have email, but I don't think they are that good at that stuff. Depending on how hot it is, maybe I'll go around and get a list of everyone. Wouldn't be bad to have.

7. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Songster

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    CMOM, I just printed up a bunch of flyers on colored paper, I can walk around and hand them out at the swap, but can I give you the extras to put at the table?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by