JamesA, Couple Pics of Your Delaware Babies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by speckledhen, Oct 30, 2009.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The green dots are how I marked each baby as I saw it take a drink on its own. The baby in the last pic looks like it's been into the motor oil--just call it Smudge! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. microbiomom

microbiomom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2009
    South Alabama
    Does anyone have pics of Delaware adolescents(4 weeks). In my MPC brown egg assortment I got a yellow baby which has developed darker areas. I'll get a pic tomorrow when the sun is out. They are sleeping now. Shh

3. speckledhen

Yours could be a Columbian Rock, too, depending on if the hackles are black or barred (looks stippled on thin hackle feathers).

4. JamesA

JamesA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Cedartown Georgia
    Quote:My babies are the prettiest things I have ever seen.They sure do look healthy.Tell them Daddy will be there Saturday to pick them up.Oh and don't start naming them or you may change your mind about selling them to me [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

What I have found about the Delawares is that they are fearless! I have an old serving spoon that I use to stir the shavings around and scoop poop. In the past, chicks have been frightened and run to the other side of the brooder. The Delawares chase the spoon and some little rooster-wanna-be's attack it. They are just a delight to have, but I'm preparing to turn them over to their new dad.
    They are being fed good quality starter grower, have alternately had a pinch of AviaCharge 2000 or organic, unfiltered ACV in their water. They've been getting some scrambled, chopped up egg every day and boy, that is a circus when they start diving in. It's like a bunch of fuzz-butted sharks in a feeding frenzy! You put your hand in the brooder and they are all over it and up your arm. Fun chicks!

6. speckledhen

Changed their feeder so took a few more pics. You can see all the different patterns and growth stages in the wing feathers here, though they were all hatched Oct 25 and 26.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. missrose

missrose Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2009
    Mesa, AZ
    one of the chicks in the 2 pic lookes like its using the feeder for the potty!! [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

Hahaha, that is one problem with this feeder, but we duct-taped the opposite side, over all the holes, so at least, there is only one side to poop in. This feeder wastes less feed than the regular one.

9. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    I really like the duct tape idea!

Get there fast James because these guys are too cute for their own good![​IMG]

Breaking News! New Hampshire woman attempts chicknapping. Cynthia kicks butt!

FYI everyone....I'm just being silly. I would never do such a horrible thing.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  10. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Such pretty babies! [​IMG]

Love the duct tape on the "other side of the feeder"! That is a great idea to keep one side from being used as the "rest stop" area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by