Jamesway 2940 Incubator

jsp28504

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 15, 2012
Clinton Ohio
Hello everyone, i'm new to the forum. I have been reading it for a while now, but this is my first post!

I recently got a jamesway model 2940 incubator, it is about 6 foot tall and holds approx 2900 chicken eggs.

This incubator has metal rods that come out the side, when you pull them it turns the racks on the inside. I was looking around and a guy told me he can make a automatic turner for this incubator but it would cost me 700 bucks.

i was curious if anyone on here can come up with a simple solution, or has found a product that is able to to this already?

In the pictures below you can see the rods, that move when you pull or push on them, they turn the egg trays. on the end of each rod it is threaded. i believe there 7 16th rods but im not sure.

can anyone thing of a way to automate the pulling of all these rods?

i figured id hook them all together then have some sort of mechanisms to move them in and out.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

I believe if i hook all these rods together, and have a machine thats got some horsepower, that i could push and pull all of these rods at one time slowly, i think that would work..

Anyone have any ideas for such a machine? im drawing a blank, i was thinking maybe i could modify one of those automatic chicken door shutter things to do this. but im not sure, any one have any of those? do they have alot of push/pull strength?

so you want to push those rods in the back to the left and right? if that is correct then it should not be too hard to get it done.

post a pic of the rods on the outside of the bator and maybe we can give you some ideas. $700 for something to do this is pretty steep. I think two modest sized air cylinders, a couple of relays, a timer and a pressure regulator and you could have an air driven unit for under $200.

an AC gearmotor is also a possibility and might cost much less.

Jerry

WELCOME TO BYC!
welcome-byc.gif
caf.gif
wee.gif

I would love to see a picture that showed all of the incubator. I just bought an antique Leahy incubator that is 6 feet tall also, the man I bought it from had hired someone to update it to an electronic thermostat and rotating trays. The trays in mine rotate just a GQF Sportsman incubator now

i will take some pics of it for you guys, its a beautifull incubator, and if you get a chance id love to know what model the trays are in yours, and see pics of what it loook like inside and out.

Back
Top Bottom