Jane369

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jane369, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Jane369

Jane369 New Egg

Sep 11, 2016
    Hi, new to BYC would love some information on raising Silkies from mixing them with other chickens or not to sexing them

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Jane and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. From what i have read, some members keep silkies separate from standard birds, others mix them. If you type "silkies" in the search box, you will find a number of threads on the breed, and I'm sure that members will only be too happy to help out.

Best wishes
    CT

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy from Kansas, Jane, and :welcome. Pleased you joined our community. Good luck to you and your silkies!

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Generally if silkies are raised with other breeds they get along well. If introduced later on, they tend to be bullied and feather plucked by other breeds because they don't look like regular chickens.

Silkies are very difficult to sex before 4-5 mos. of age and sometimes not till they lay or crow. If you put "Silkie thread," in the search box , it should take you to the longest running silkie thread.

6. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Welcome to Backyard chickens Jane !! I hope you enjoy it and the camaraderie here and everybody that goes nuts over chickens (me being one of them....) Have fun! And ask questions!

7. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you. X2 on everything diva has said above.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by