Janoel 10 vs Fleur

ChristieB

Songster
5 Years
Dec 13, 2014
Queensland
As the title suggests I have 2 sets of eggs cooking.
Set on Saturday evening 15 eggs
Under Fleur my 1 year old Buff Sussex, her first time broody I have
3 black australorps (marked with an A for records)
And 5 light Sussex (marked with an s)

In my Janoel 10 cheap as chips incubator, second time running there is
2 black Australorp (as above)
5 light Sussex (as above)

First candle will be Sunday night
Writing this here for my own records really but feel free to follow along
Let the battle begin :p

Sunday night.
Janoel is failing miserably, temperature is out humidity is way high, it's causing a major headache, I must have accidently got water in it or something during cleaning or possibly just that it's a cheapy so only works for so long. It's first hatch was 3/4 in it (not including a clear) this time I'm not sure about any of them
But the stats anyway are.
2 Australorp, dark mass inside both, will recandle on day 10 and remove.
5 Sussex. All difficult to see, 1 clear, 2 with dark masses and 2 with some veining but don't look promising.
I've removed all water and upped the temp a bit to try stabilise it, not sure what else to do but wait.

Fleur is fairing better,
3 Australorp, 1 clear with moving air cell, 1 blood ring, 1 unsure doesn't look to good. Will be contacting breeder , not happy. Glad I didn't pay heaps for them.
5 Sussex, 1 dark mass, 4 have some veining.

I'm surprised at how difficult I found it to see into the Sussex eggs considering they aren't a dark shell, will be recandling all on day 10 before I remove anything

Been slack updating here, but big news we have chicks!! 3 so far and the last 2 pipped under Fleur.
I gave up on the incubator this week, I couldn't keep it stable, either too hot or too cold, humidity was awful, even with no water at all. I put the last 4 eggs that looked like they had a chance under my araucana who went broody, she's a bit of a ***** so it's hard to get a good look, it appears that 2 have pipped though. I wasn't expecting anything till tomorrow at least so that's a good sign, also shows how hardy eggs can be even when the incubator is playing up,
So that's 9 of 15 total that made it to lock down, 1 Australorp, 8 Sussex
Under Fleur
1 Australorp, hatched
2 light Sussex hatched
2 pipped,

From the incubator, set under Padma for lockdown
2 light Sussex pipped
2 light Sussex unknown,
If they will make it I don't know but they've got a much better chance under Padma than in the incubator.

Back
Top Bottom