Janoel 12 Egg Incubator

colsercs

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2018
Hi, can anyone help please.

I obtained a Janoel 12 incubator without instructions but have managed to obtain a copy now.

Prior to obtaining my instructions, I set the temperature fine. I also saw HU in the set menu thinking this was a setting for humidity adjusted the setting to a what I thought was a degree setting for humidity. On reading my newly obtained instructions it says 'Parameter HU and HD is set by the factory,the user unless the professional is not allowed to adjust it.' (HU means Heating power parameter).

So I am trying to find the correct HU figure set by the factory, I am assuming that these particular incubators all have the same setting. Any help would be appreciated.

Colin.

Hi and welcome!:welcome

I just completed my first hatch with my Janoel12. I hatched 5 out of 6 eggs with zero complications (lost one egg at lockdown).

My first piece of advice, now that you’ve found the manual, is to throw out the manual. If you go by it, you may potentially drown your eggs. I believe it’s what contributed to my one loss. Get a separate thermometer/hygrometer reader, make sure it’s calibrated, and use it.

Next, look into dry incubation.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...h-eggs-using-the-dry-incubation-method.47694/
I switched to a dry incubation about midway through and it saved my 5 eggs that hatched. I added some water right at hatch, but I’m not sure it was really needed. The chicks put off A LOT of moisture when they start hatching. I had condensation all the way up the side of the bator which in itself tells you the humidity is waaay high. But my 5 chicks hatched without incidence either way. I think this particular incubator holds moisture really well. I even cracked the lid while they were hatching to remove a damp sponge I had put in that wasn’t needed. They were just laying all over it after hatching! :barnie

Make sure you use the top tray for incubation and switch them to the lower tray for lockdown. One side of the tray has raised grooves, the auto turning tray goes in there. The tracks keep it in place. I didn’t figure this out till day 7 :rolleyes:
I was able to fit 6 of my big eggs in the tray. You can probably get more in if they’re smaller like Bantams. I was hatching Leghorn and Golden Comet crosses so they were big eggs! Make sure the little brass rod in the plastic wheel in the lid is securely in the slot on the tray handle. This is the turning mechanism. It will shift the tray back and forth and very slowly roll the eggs. It’s hard to see just looking but if you mark your eggs you’ll be able to notice.

At lockdown, I removed them from the tray, recandled, marked the bad one (I left it in just in case) and took out the upper tray and placed the eggs in the bottom tray. This gives the chicks more headroom when they hatch and allows a better view for you to see them. :) I placed a piece of cheesecloth under the eggs, but again, wasn’t needed. After they first chick hatched they just kicked it into a wad. I honestly think they have better traction on the plastic tray itself. It’s a softer plastic and the holes are perfect size for them to rest their little beaks in while they’re taking a break after hatching. I had no issues with splay leg or anything.

It really is a good little incubator. I had a lot of fun using it. But the manual is worthless really. You’ll have better luck without it in my personal opinion. Like I said, it’s my first hatch with it, but that was my experience. Some on here have been using it for longer and may have corrections to what I’ve said :thumbsup

DE01DB86-3FDB-410F-8B1E-76D8D9A68135.jpeg
1896DB37-AF50-4327-AE0B-FB0AE6CCC690.jpeg
DDE77573-6E6D-4E35-9B54-4D45545472D4.jpeg

I hope this was a little helpful!:D

Thank you for your reply much appreciated, I think your right with the humidity side.

I wonder if you could look to see the number of your HU.

Press SET for 3 seconds, + or - to HU and press SET again and you will see a figure. That's the one I am after. DO not + or - while in HU mode, it will return to the temperature automatically.

Your help would be appreciated as I have just set 12 No. Rhode Island Red bantam eggs today.

Thank you Colin.

Thank you for your reply much appreciated, I think your right with the humidity side.

I wonder if you could look to see the number of your HU.

Press SET for 3 seconds, + or - to HU and press SET again and you will see a figure. That's the one I am after. DO not + or - while in HU mode, it will return to the temperature automatically.

Your help would be appreciated as I have just set 12 No. Rhode Island Red bantam eggs today.

Thank you Colin.

Ah I may not be much help on that end, I’m riding in a car right now and my incubator is put up in the closet.:hmm I didn’t really pay much attention to any readings from the incubator itself since those are usually way off anyway. I just relied on my second thermometer/hygrometer.

@ButteCA are you familiar with changing the HU settings on this machine yet?:caf

The Janoel 12? If so no. I don’t think it lets you change anything with the humidity settings. If there are mine is on the factory setting. I can tell you for sure though unless you live in desert 100 ml of water is too much. I use my back up hygrometer/thermometer for that. I would put a tablespoon in at time. I ditched the turning tray and I just hand turn them at this point because I think my eggs were too big for it. I wrapped it in a blanket and that helped with keeping the temperature right. I’m seven days in I open it a few times a day to turn the eggs and I candle them at night and I haven’t had one yet that I am worried about. I would think the only time you need 100 ml of water is during hatching time when the humidity needs to be higher. The instructions are not really helpful I wonder sometimes if they were translated from another language.

Everything you need to know can be found on youtube...these are great little incubators once you throw away the instructions! Search both magicfly 12 and janoel 12 as they are both the same. Some very clear calibration instructions can be found there. As well as how you can more than double the capacity if you are willing to manually rock the incubator 3 to 5 times a day. I have great results with this little incubator once you figure how to control humidity in your specific environment. I can look on mine when I get home but I know there is at least one guy on youtube that has a clear post on how to set everything up.

You can't necessarily rely on my or anyone elses given humidity #'s because small incubators are more affected by the enviroment your hatching at. Some folks they get great hatch rates with 50% or more humidity. I live in a very humid place and I never put water in it. For me totally dry and a room dehumidifier gets me at 30 to 35% until lockdown. Then I turn off room dehumidifier and get 70% plus for lockdown sometimes no water at lockdown sometimes I add some depending on the weather at the time. If you live in a dryer climate you will probably need higher humidity. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom