1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Janoel 12

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MarijkeM, Feb 16, 2017.

1. MarijkeM

MarijkeM New Egg

Feb 16, 2017
    I know that I have seen some old posts on this incubator but I am only new to the "Incubation" world and feeling a little stressed about the eggs I have in the incubator.

I read the manual (as well as I could) you tubed a whole heap of videos (even in french) showing me how to set it up. But the temperature keeps fluctuating from 38.2 (which i read was the start temp) to 39 is this going to matter?

So worried I'm going to fail on these eggs especially since my rooster just died from heat stroke on the weekend and these are the last eggs produced by my girls.

Tell me everything people.... please

2. BobDBirdDog

BobDBirdDog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    Tennessee

The temps are always going to be within a range of two temps, it is never going to be steady dead on...too many variables and that goes for all incubators.
    Drop the temp down between 37.8 and 38.2....39.0 is pushing it unless your hatching dragon eggs. but even that higher (39.0) temp is not going to do much damage if you just started, might make them hatch a little sooner than expected.

Speaking of which, in the red above, what incubator do you have? If its the cheaper model, give it time to steady out in the temps, about an hour between adjustment until you get it within ranges. It might take a day to do that.

Also, where in the world are you located? Its February and and I dont know many places where heat stroke would be an issue right now. Must have them inside somewhere. lol

If you have done started incubating it is too late now to test the thermometer for accuracy, so go buy a another thermometer and test it for accuracy, I picked up an outside thermometer for less than a dollar so that will not be some large expense, or you could go big with a digital....no matter just as long as you can test it and use it in the incubator and know the temp readings are accurate.
    This link will offer many ways to test the thermometer at home...just pick one that applies to your case and taste. I even think I added one in there somewhere..anyway!
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=thermometer+calibration

Afterwards use the new thermometer to adjust your temps between that which I noted above. you will probably have to do a little math but make sure you understand the concept.

If you get the temps in good range, turn the eggs as needed, incubation is pretty easy work. so relax, read, learn and pay attention to the details.

BTW in the future test your equipment before starting incubating, temp is everything!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  3. MarijkeM

MarijkeM New Egg

Feb 16, 2017
    Thanks, yes of course sorry I put the brand in the header its a Janoel 12. I live in Queensland, Australia and we have been having very bad heat waves and is hard on the animals.

the Janoel doesn't give a range it actually just says to set the temp which is supposed to be 38.2 I hope that I am doing it right and I think that there is a second spot to put another thermometer.

I did put it on and watch that it kept a solid temp for a few hours but obviously between 2pm and 4pm the temp is playing up which happens to be when I'm not home so I might have to alter before I leave

Thank you

4. Blacklotus

Blacklotus Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2016
    Australia
    Hi @MarijkeM

I'm using a Janoel 12 at the moment for some duck eggs. I have set the temp to 37.5, and it has stayed at that temp really well. Even though it's pretty hot right now (I'm aussie too) at night, I like to wrap a towel around the incubator, it seems to keep the humidity and temp steady, and not to mention it helps keep the motor from overworking, since it's a cheapish incubator.

Humidity I noticed with this incubator is a real pain too, and even though it says to add 100ml of water, please do not do this!! I'm not sure why it even suggests to, but I started off doing that and the humidity was up over 90%. It's crazy, and I think it's because it's such a small incubator. So for now, I am running dry with no water at all, and the humidity has finally stabilized at 30%. My eggs air cells are too small at the moment from having too high humidity in the beginning.
    If you do want to add some water, I used a small medicine cup, and placed it to the far left of the tray, the moving tray won't hit it and it's easier to control the humidity that way. Only add about 10-15ml and it should keep it around 50% or so. Just need to play around with it. I thought I would tell you all this because they don't warn you on the instructions, and it could end badly if you don't know about it and your eggs end up drowning!

All the best with your hatch, what kind of eggs are you incubating?

5. MarijkeM

MarijkeM New Egg

Feb 16, 2017
    Thanks for the info. I was adding the water but not the full 100ml so I might stop that. I don't know why it is changing in the afternoon it's really weird. the rest of the day and night it keeps the correct temp without any problems.
    I'm trying Pekin Bantams so fingers crossed they go well. We loved out little rooster so much it was sad for him to die. I have more eggs in the fridge so maybe I can use them if these don't work. Do you know how long we can keep the eggs to use them in the incubator?

6. Blacklotus

Blacklotus Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2016
    Australia
    I think after a week they start to go bad. But I don't think fridge temp eggs would be good to use, but you can only try I guess. Usually eggs kept at room temp, in a carton and put in the bator within a week are best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by