Janoel egg tuner question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by stew1, Feb 4, 2015.

1. stew1

stew1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2014
    I was wondering if there was a way I could use a janoel egg turner with out the incubator to plug it into. Can I just put a 110 plug on the end and go or will it just keep turning? If so how fast do they turn? would it matter if it turned all the time? Can I change the motor on it to one that is on my farm innovators? Could I just hook it up to a normal light timer? I have a timer I can turn on and off in 30 min intervals. I like the janoel one cause it holds 144 eggs, which is the biggest amount of quail egg turner I have seen. And I want another turner. I know they only hold 36 chicken eggs but find that to be a better number than 41 beings that the place I been getting eggs from sells them by the dozen. Thanks

2. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    I have the janoel (the 48 eggs and the 96 egg) bator and i have never tried to use it without the bator itself!! The plug that the eggs turner plugs into the bator wouldnt really work out!! It is like a hooking on thing!!! I think if you just left it it would turn the whole time...and really it would mess up the eggs!

3. stew1

stew1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2014
    What if I took a dimmer switch to slow it down? My farm innovators just turn really slow all the time so if I put a 110 plug on the end and a dimmer switch I should get the same results right. The 2 reasons I want to use this one is it holds the most quail eggs and price is the best. I know I could just buy quail rails for the one I got but want another turner any way. If im going to take time to hatch and brood chicks I want to make it worth my time, 41 chicken eggs at a time is not enough for me, lol. Thanks

4. ChickyChickens

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    I dont know!!!!! iT MIGHT WORK...

5. stew1

stew1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2014
    ok I think im going to abandon the janoel turner idea. Any one know if the farm innovators turner is the same as the little giant? They look the same but im not sure. Thanks

6. ChickyChickens

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    No, not really sure!!!

Why do you not just buy the JN bator?? IT would REALLY be worth it!

7. stew1

stew1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2014
    Because its to small and I already have a frig I turned into one and another I built out of plywood. I get mixed reviews on the janoel bators. The 3 I built work wonderfully and can hold a lot of eggs. I have less money stuck into the 3 I built than what it would have costed me to buy one janoel. If I wouldn't have have 3 thermostats laying around that may have not been the case tho. I used to breed leopard geckos so the frig was already set up and I had 3 thermostats left from my gecko days, and they are in my opinion way better thermostats than any others I have seen. Thanks for the reply

8. Heron's Nest Farm

Heron's Nest Farm Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Oregon
    You can buy an independant egg turner at the farm store. I would go that route (if I'm understanding you) as you do not have to hook to the incubator unit itself. I DO believe that you could make the janoel turner work. Take it down to the hardware store. You can get the appropriate electrical hookup (the janoel has that funky low voltage white plastic end) and hook up to a switch. You may need a converter, but the electrical guy would know.

It may be cost prohibitive to do? Please let me know if you do succeed with retrofitting it.

9. stew1

stew1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2014
    From what I can make of it its 110v and on or off. If I understood what I read online its not a motor you can turn down the speed at all. I just decided to go the farm innovators route, just have to fork out the extra 20 for the quail rails. Why they would make a turner that holds a odd number of eggs is beyond me but that's what it is. Has anyone pulled the cover off the rail by the motor? I read some ware that the egg next to the motor gets to hot. Also dose anyone know if quail eggs fit in the regular chicken egg turner? Or do they just roll around in them or fall straight through.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by