January Molt ??

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mygirls615, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Mygirls615

Mygirls615 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Ok I have a Bard Rock that is aprox 10 months old I noticed a week or so ago it looks as though she was loosing feathers around her neck. Today when she went out to free range with the others at first glance she looked like a turkey to me ! She is not bald but when she "fluffs" out you can see some spaces but she looks as though partial feathers are there, some missing, more so on backside of neck...... I took the best pic I could, this shows from front,[​IMG]

when she got near me...Is it possible she is soft molting in January?? We live in Rhode Island

2. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined the flock! I have a few questions that could've triggered this. Because none of my hens ever molt this much feathers in January, it's usually July or August. Are you using artificial light? If so what hours are you having it on and when does it turn off? Another thing which I'm doubting but sometimes happens, did you jump the protein % up or down or is it the same protein level?

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Have you noticed another bird pulling out her feathers? Can you tell if her feathers are breaking off or do you see any new pin feathers coming up?

4. Mygirls615

Jun 22, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Ok Thank you both for responding......I have not changed feeding Purina with the extra omegas, oyster shells and grit, greens, etc hubby says they are spoiled. I have NOT noticed any picking on her she has no real "bare" spots they look broken off. I did hold her this morning to try to get a better look...feathers were falling out while I was feeling around. She does have some poking thru skin which look like new. She look slightly madded it's yellow in color meaning around neck can't see bare skin when I look in. She does dust bathe and we use Dematheus (sp) earth in bedding from time to time. From neck down when I look in her feathers I see skin. and I don't not see "mites" per say.
    We do not use artificial lighting we after reading both side decide in first year we would let them run a natural course. They started laying Aug- Sept. SO I know they are still under a year old.
    Free ranging yesterday she was running around fast, flying and rest of behavior seems normal

5. Birdrain92

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Ok, then the causes I was thinking of are not the reason. If she does have parasites they would be under the wing, around the vent, and sometimes on the face. Lice are a golden color and tend to remain at the base of the feather and mites go anywhere they feel. Though if she's dust bathing her chances of having a parasite are very low.

6. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Of my 9 chickens, some started molting in August and they all proceeded to take their turn with the last one just recently started to molt. Same feed for all, no artificial light, no mites...just each one taking their turn. I'll be glad when the last one is finished, I've been cleaning up feathers forever, lol.

1 person likes this.
  7. Mygirls615

Jun 22, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Yes looking over rest of her she is clean under wings, face, etc. I am baffled other then molting? I am new to hens and as I said all of them we have 8 are under a year old so been a learning experience as we go along. Thank you for your response!

8. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    There's always something new to learn about poultry, that's part of the fun of having them!

1 person likes this.
  9. Birdrain92

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Then I guess she wanted to molt. I can't think of any other reason than what has been presented. If you have questions feel free to ask.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Can't say why, but she is molting. I'd up her protein intake and keep an eye on her to assure that she does not become chilled.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by