Jap Banty Pullet with Purple Tinged Comb and Lethargic

ChickenFox

Crowing
10 Years
Mar 5, 2013
West Virginia
My Jap Banty pullet Squeaker isn't acting right at all. She's been hiding in the coop for a couple days on the roost but I've seen her come out to eat and drink. Today she wasn't coming out so we went to check on her and she was hiding in a corner looking dejected. She didn't try to run when I picked her up which is VERY unusual and her comb and wattles are kinda purplish. She also feels skinny. I felt her abdomen and it doesn't seem to be hard anywhere so I don't think its egg bind but she hasn't been a consistant layer. I've only gotten 2 eggs in as many weeks but there was 1 I think might be hers in the nestbox today. It had a weird kind of peeling coating over it. None of her other flock mates seem sick. I brought her inside and put her in a box with some layer pellets, bird seed and water with ACV and pedialyte in it. Saw her peck at the food some and when I went in later I saw some food debris in the water so I think she drank some but she's still weak and just sitting there. Any advice or thoughts on what might be wrong? She's one of my favorites and I don't want to lose her. She's one out of the first group of chicks I brought home and I lost her 'twin' from that group just a day after getting them home. Please Help.

She's a jap banty and is about 5 1/2 months old.

Anybody?
hide.gif

The purplish comb makes me think that she may have a heart problem. I have a banty rooster that occasionally gets blue tips on his comb, then later the comb is all red. You will probably need to rule things out. Is her crop empty or full and squishy? Sour crop can be full and squishy with a sour or foul odor coming from her mouth. Look closely at her vent. Vent gleet can be reddened with white patches and she may have watery diarrhea. When they are lethargic and you don't know the cause, you might want to start her on an antibiotic just to see if she gets better. If she's not drinking enough though, she probably wouldn't get enough of it to matter. Do you think she could have cocci?

She doesn't have any blood in her poo when she does go. She's only gone once in 14 hours. It looks a little runny but not much. She ate very little and from I can feel of her crop it seems like a small lump.
sad.png
She drank a few drinks of water last night when I gave her a warm bath but I'm not sure how much since then. She's laying in my lap as I type. Has no energy and her comb and wattles are still purple toned. When I pick her up she looks around but not much. She's usually so energetic and constantly looking for bugs. I hate seeing her like this but I don't know what to do! Her vent seems a little protruded on the top side but not much. Hubby is going to bring home some vaseline and gloves when he gets home tonight so I can double check for egg bind. He won't be home for 8 hours though and I'm worried she won't make it that long.
hit.gif
I'm having issues with my bank about being charged twice for plane tickets so I don't have money to go buy the stuff myself....She's sleeping now. Breathing doesn't seem labored or anything. Her skin tone elsewhere seems fine.

If she's still around when he's on his way home I'll have him stop at Tractor Supply and see if they have any kind of antibiotic for birds....Should I try to give her Garlic Powder in case it's some kind of worm? I've never wormed any of them and never thought of doing so until I strated trying to find out whats wrong with her. I'm sorry this is so long I'm just so worried about her...I really don't think she's going to make it.
hit.gif

I got her to drink some pedialyte. She actually seemed to like it some. She got maybe 1/2 a tablespoon in her then quit. Still better than nothing though...

Back
Top Bottom