Japanese Bantam Egg Questions!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GoPups, Sep 28, 2007.

1. GoPups

GoPups Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Looks like I was wrong about who has been laying the eggs. I thought it was my RIR, GoGo because they are light brown eggs coming nearly every day. Very small, but brown. She's the oldest, after all. Today I caught my little Japanese bantam Ginger on the nest, and discovered that it has been her all along! [​IMG]

Questions:
    I thought Japanese lay white eggs. These eggs are light brown with speckles. Was I wrong? Also, I was under the impression that Japanese lay once or twice a week. She has given me seven eggs in about eight days. Was I wrong again, or is she special? [​IMG]

Thanks in advance for opinions!

This is Ginger:

[​IMG]

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    My McMurray 's catalog says that Bantam Jap's lay white eggs. Congrat's!!!

Dawn

3. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    All my Japanese lay small creamy white colored eggs. Japs are known to go broody and steal nests though, so maybe she was trying to steal the RIR's eggs. They will lay about every other day and less as they get older. I've had some that lay nearly everyday and some every 2 days. I think your RIR is laying them and the banty is trying to steal them.

4. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

Are you sure they are her eggs? Could she be going broody on someone elses eggs? Even though she has not started laying yet?

I know you wanted answers not more questions, but you got me thinking - which is dangerous....

Was typing while Angie was posting so just leave questions 1 & 3.....mainly 3 can a pullet go broody before EVER laying....

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2007
  5. GoPups

GoPups Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Quote:That little theif! [​IMG] Would she really care all that much about stealing them at 23 weeks old? And shouldn't my RIR be laying bigger eggs? They're only a little over an inch long.

6. FrankBlissett

FrankBlissett Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    It's kinda hard to tell, but are her earlobes red rather than white? From the photo, they look red to me. If so then she's NOT a white egg layer.

-Frank

7. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Quote:Here's the Jap info from Henderson's. The Jap info is located about half way down the page, creamy white eggs, red earlobes...

Dawn

8. siz8003

siz8003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    My japs also lay cream eggs and they lay everyday 2

9. FrankBlissett

FrankBlissett Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    "...The Jap info is located about half way down the page, creamy white eggs, red earlobes..."

Hmm - guess you learn something new every day!

-Frank

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by