Japanese bantam -- need info.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by verity, Nov 17, 2009.

1. verity

verity Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Clemmons
    I have 6 large hens (BO, BLW, BR, red sex-link and 2 EEs) all are about a year and a half old.
    We have a very nice set-up with a house and a 'solarium' -- they do not free-range.

I am to be given a black Japanese Bantam rooster -- (this little guy will be 'auditioning' here and, if it doesn't work, he'll go back to the breeder.)

Are the hens likely to 'beat him up?!' They seemed to have formed a tight 'sorority' and the newest EE is obviously a 'pledge' as she keeps away from the other five ---

Can anyone tell me about Japanese Bantams -- what to watch out for and about the chances that 'the girls' will accept him as the 'token male' member of the flock? We would like to have an equal-opportunity flock!

This rooster is young and has been handled -- is supposed to be 'sweet' as well as 'cute' ---

Opinions/info please!

Thank you!

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    I have a feeling he won't do well. Quarantine will make him lonely and once he gets to join the flock, they beat him up. Sorry, I doubt it will work out.

3. Julie_A

Julie_A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Brewton, Ala.
    Kooshie, sounds right to me, too. Sorry. [​IMG]

4. Julie_A

Julie_A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Brewton, Ala.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  5. verity

verity Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Clemmons
    Thank you -- the responses have confirmed my initial feelings -- guess I'll have to give this little guy a pass --
    would hate to have a lonely chicken around here -- or one who had been bashed by 'the girls' --

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by