Japanese bantam question

Moochie

Songster
9 Years
Nov 8, 2010
North Edwards
I've read that there's a lethal gene when breeding Japs. The short legged gene? Well I put 6 eggs in the incubator.. I'm wondering if all will hatch or some will die in the shell? I asked this question on a chicken group, 2 users said they never had any problems with hatching, like none dying in the shell. Is this lethal gene death rate rare?
I'm kinda new to Japanese bantams. Even though I'm a mutt enthusiast I'm probably gonna work on my Japs. Right now I only have a pair, a black tailed buff hen and a black tailed white..? Does the buff ever mix with white? I've had the roo since he was a chick and he hasn't seen that much sunlight, not enough to make the yellow staining.
hu.gif

Yes, there is a lethal gene related to the short legged [creeper] gene. All of your eggs may hatch, some of them may hatch or none of them may hatch, impossible to predict as there are too many factors at work. In any event 6 eggs is much to small a sample to test the expression of the gene.
Anyone who breeds Japanese Bantams & has never had a chick die in the shell is breeding all long legged Japanese Bantams & doesn't produce any that represent the breed properly.

Yes, there is a lethal gene related to the short legged [creeper] gene. All of your eggs may hatch, some of them may hatch or none of them may hatch, impossible to predict as there are too many factors at work. In any event 6 eggs is much to small a sample to test the expression of the gene.
Anyone who breeds Japanese Bantams & has never had a chick die in the shell is breeding all long legged Japanese Bantams & doesn't produce any that represent the breed properly.

Well I have no clue about my pair. I know where they came from, the nice lady has 7 Japs, some look to have shorter legs.. Hers aren't very people friendly so I've never gotten a really good look at them. I'll be very happy if they all hatch :] They're such sweet and kind chickens, I'd love to raise more!
I'm not one that really cares if the breed is being represented properly or not, as long as they chickens don't come out derpy I'm fine.

I'm afraid derpy isn't a term I'm familiar with. Could you define it for me, please?

I'm afraid derpy isn't a term I'm familiar with. Could you define it for me, please?
Coming out weird, deformed, slow. I used to have a "derpy" chicken that I got from a horse rancher. She was the sweetest thing in the world and one of a kind. The rancher was going to cull her but I didn't want to see her die.

Back
Top Bottom