Japanese Bantam Rooster Southern New Hampshire

Discussion in 'Chickens 8 Weeks & Older' started by chicken pickin, Feb 9, 2013.

1. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    I have just a few too many roosters. I need to start by rehoming one of my boys. He is a very handsome Japanese Bantam 7months old. He is behaved and his crow is not to loud nor too often IMO. Free to a good home please Id hate to see him go to the freezer. I just need to even out my rooster to hen ratio. Local only.

Rooster found a home!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  2. tikipaws

tikipaws New Egg

Feb 16, 2013
    hello Im interested in your rooster but need to know is his crow LOUD or a pleasant crow ,I know it sounds strange but I have had for 6 years alittle red pyile bantam rooster and his crow was just right I live in a very populated area and have good neighbors ,i brib them with eggs so just let me know how loud 1 - 10 thanks Robyn i

3. chicken pickin

Mar 3, 2012
    I would say he has a pleasant Crow. Compared to my Marans Rooster who is very loud, the bantams crow seems soft and short not as drawn out as some roosters and he doesnt crow as often as my Marans. I also live with close neighbors and I havent had any complaints. The 4 roosters I have now are all my first roosters with nothing to compare them too But the bantams are much more pleasant to listen to than my one Marans roo. I would say my dogs barking and turkeys gobbling are much more annoying than the Bantams crow. I hope that helps and if you have any more questions please ask[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  4. GardenerGal

GardenerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    Massachusetts
    He's a handsome guy. Is he vaccinated for Marek's? Unfortunately, my flock has been exposed (there very probably is Marek's virus in the barn) and all are vaccinated or have hen-transmitted resistance/immunity to Marek's. So any newcomers have to be vaccinated for their own protection.

5. chicken pickin

Mar 3, 2012
    I dont believe he is vaccinated for it. I bought him as a chick from a chicken swap and she said he was hatched under her broody hen. So since he is not from a hatchery I dont think so. I can PM her and ask if youd like.

6. GardenerGal

GardenerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Thanks for replying. My guess is that he wasn't vaccinated. But if the broody was, then chances are he has some resistance. If you don't mind checking that would be great, but I don't want to put you through any extra effort, especially if someone else is able and willing to adopt your roo. I'd be reluctant to expose him to the risk of infection.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by