Japanese Bantam x Serama

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by Cyprus, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    I have two male mottled Japanese bantams. They are hard enough to come by as it is here, much less the females. My boys are rather large.
    In the interest of lowering their size, and due to limited availability, I purchased today two young black mottled Serama pullets. One is smooth, the other is frizzled.

I'm going to cross breed regardless, but I was curious as the insight and opinions of others. Do you think this will lead to smaller birds? Can I, theoretically, show the F1 crosses as Japs to get an idea of how my efforts are playing out? How much Jap will need to be back in a bird from this cross to be good for show?

Thanks in advance,
    Cyprus

2. NNYchick

NNYchick Songster

Jun 15, 2017
    Harrisville, NY
    I’m still learning about Seramas but 2 things that jump at me right away is your not going to have correct type. With Seramas it’s all about that up right “toy soldier” type so with japs your working against that as thier chest is broad round and carried forward. So either way the genetics go I don’t think you’ll have showable offspring.

3. Cyprus

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    Understood.
    These two pullets have a stance more like that of Japanese bantams. They don't stand upright at all. And neither did any of the males present

4. NNYchick

NNYchick Songster

Jun 15, 2017
    Harrisville, NY
    I think if you want cute little pets it would work. But if your intentions are to breed or show it’s not going to work. Standards are very different any serious breeder that shows either breed is going to tell right away. Maybe you got japs being passed off as serama, unfortunately I am realizing there is a lot of that in the serama world people are passing off OEGBs or japs as serama. Post pictures on the breed threads for some critiques.

5. 007Sean

007Sean Addict

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    I'm not real sure but I don't think breeding the Serama hens to your Jap roosters will produce a smaller bodied offspring. I mean, you might get a smaller bird every now and then but it would take years to breed them to SOP for Japanese bantams.
    I use to raise, breed and show Blacktailed Whites. You might get some short shanked birds but that may not happen either, Serama's have long shanks, and if you breed 2 short shanks they will die in shell or soon after hatching...if both parent birds have short legs they will have the lethal gene.

You might be able to pass off a Serama x Japanese at a local county fair type show but at a bigger show I don't think it would pass a judge's scrutiny.

Not trying to discourage you in anyway, just some thoughts on the questions you asked.

Cyprus likes this.
  6. Cyprus

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    I appreciate the input! Neither of my Japanese bantams have short shanks. I think my brother is only going to be showing at county fair levels, so they don't have to be perfect. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. If it doesn't turn out, we can easily sell out.

007Sean likes this.
  7. Cyprus

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    Breed thread is here

007Sean likes this.
  8. 007Sean

007Sean Addict

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Well, short shanks are a requirement (SOP) for Japanese Bantams. Also, erect tail feathers....hens tend to have their tail feathers skewed to one side or the other....most of the time mine were skewed to the left...don't know why, just my observations for the 20 + years of raising them.

Cyprus likes this.
  9. Cyprus

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    Yeah my Japanese came from a local state fair breeder. They are NOT SOP bred because of the lack of short shanks, but both parents had the short shanks. I hatched their eggs and these were the only two survivors of 3 hatched from 7 eggs. All eggs had been fertile.

007Sean likes this.
  10. 007Sean

007Sean Addict

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    They appear to be Seramas to me, Japs would be bigger at that age.

Cyprus likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: