1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Japanese Bantams Help

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by coffeemama, Jul 28, 2008.

1. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    If anyone has Japanese bantams, could you tell me what the pullets and cockerels differences are at 8 weeks. I took a photo of my pair early on, and one was developing a comb faster than the other, but now they both still have very minimal combs, and are both the same shade of pink in the comb, eye, ect. areas. I would take a pic, but it's difficult now, so if anyone knows or has photos of their chicks that they've sexed, please share [​IMG]

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    It would depend on where you got your japanese from. If they are good quality birds the mails will have the tail go back over the body and the female wont. Her back to tail conversion will be a sloping curve. Look at a female Serama, but the japanese wont be quite that far towards the back.
    Someone has some pics up of their Serama flock on here.

3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Chelsea on page 2 of this forum Corey NC has a thread My Seramas-pic heavy- that might help

4. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

lol coffee! i would ha ve had the same question.. if i had a japanese bantam. LOL but aperintly i dont! LOL!!! [​IMG] and im starting to think that shockacon ( the bantam i got from u) is a boy- [​IMG] but ni crowing yet.. so idk

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    My little guys crow was like a squeaky old hand water pump [​IMG]

Coffeegirl the only pic that shows it is the first pic. The speckled roos tail goes up live a v between back and tail. The tan female goes up like a u between back and tail.

6. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Here is a pic of a Japanese Bantam Hen at 10 weeks old I took this afternoon. The tail slopes to the back and there is usually no comb present at this time. They are beautiful !!

[​IMG]

7. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    I already deleted my 8 week pics of mine I guess because I can't find them anywhere...Sorry. Mine is now 17 weeks and her comb stayed minimal and pale until last month and then had a small growth spurt and has gotten more color now that she is point of lay. My male was pretty obvious from about 7-8wks as his comb was bigger and he had wattles appearing. Now my two dutch pullets looked like they'd be a pair for a long time because one had a little larger comb than the other, but ended up being girls. I think even though they may be same breed they can still develope at different levels so may not know for a while.

ETA: Just remembered though that my male held his tail more upright earlier than my female and he had more black in his tail(BTB pair).

The crowing is quite funny isn't it...My DD and I laugh at our BTB Jap when he crows because it sounds like he has good intentions on sounding great then it sounds like someone grabs his neck at the ending. Makes us want to clear our throats.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  8. Hi!
    Here is a pic of some 3 week + Mottled Japanese chicks. The 2 on the right are cockerels and the 2 on the left are pullets.

[​IMG]

I don't know if that will help you or not, but they are pretty easy to tell early on.
    [​IMG] Sounds like you might have 2 girls.

Lisa

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  9. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Thanks everyone [​IMG] After seeing dispsy's photo, I'm sure I have two hens. Yay! Thanks again all!!

10. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Quote:That's what I heard Lisa, and thought when one developed more at 3 weeks than the other, that I had a pair. Now they look the same, with a tiny, tiny comb. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by