1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Japanese Bantams - Show Quality?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by muddipuppy, Dec 2, 2009.

1. muddipuppy

muddipuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Mountain View, CA
    I have a pair of Black Tailed Japanese Bantams and want genuine feedback on their show quality potential. They are as sweet as can be and I'm trying to figure out how much to price them at. The are about 2 1/2 months old and their parents were blue ribbon winners. Take a look:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. muddipuppy

muddipuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Mountain View, CA
    little bump?

3. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Hard to tell much partly because they're pretty young. The male's comb has an obvious twist which is a significant defect & he is too long legged. From the hock joint to the top of the foot should be about 3/4 of an inch. Female's type doesn't look bad but can't see her legs because of the vegetation.

4. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    do u have better pics? i dont know much about them, but the hen looks like she has nice short legs

5. Megs

Megs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    better photso might help, but they are quite young to tell. is the cockerals comb slightly twisted? hard to tell with that pic, and the photo of the pullet i cant see legs/feet so hard to say. they are supposed to be very short, which the cockeral appears to be.

6. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    No, actually the cockerel's legs don't appear to be very short. An esay rule of thumb is if you can see under a Jap the legs are too long.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by