Japanese Bantams

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bobshere, Nov 14, 2018.

1. bobshere

bobshere Songster

Hi, I’m wondering if anyone here raises Japanese Bantams? If so I’m wondering how long it takes approximately for them to start laying eggs?
    Thanks

HuffleClaw likes this.
  2. HuffleClaw

HuffleClaw -Contemplating-

Jul 8, 2018
    Alabama ♥️
    My Coop
    I used to have them. They’re cute an calm little birds! Not sure exactly when they started laying though, it’s been a while since I’ve had them. :)

3. bobshere

bobshere Songster

She’s about 14 weeks now. Partial red comb. That’s why I’m wondering. Rooster 13 weeks and crowing already.

4. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds!

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Is she squatting yet or is he mating her yet?
    My seramas usually start around 16-17 weeks, I would expect Japanese to be in that ballpark also

5. bobshere

bobshere Songster

No she isn’t squatting yet but they look like they are maturing quickly. I’ve never had Japanese Bantams before so that’s why I’m inquiring

WVduckchick likes this.
  6. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds!

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    I got some hatching eggs once, and a few hatched, but my heat lamp died one evening while we were gone and I lost all except one! So i ended up selling her. I miss them.
    You know about the lethal gene with them? The short-legged creeper gene.

7. bobshere

bobshere Songster

Yes my pair both have short legs and I read a good percentage of them die before they hatch.

WVduckchick likes this.
  8. Ginmary

Ginmary Songster

Apr 17, 2018
    Jackson, NJ
    My Seramas (see Avatar) started at 16 weeks and 3 days. They started mating shortly after.

WVduckchick likes this.
  9. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Songster

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    My little Japanese bantam hen began laying about 18/20 weeks. She was also broody a LOT. -finally got a day old chick and placed underneath her. -was the best little mama hen! I wouldn't say she was a great layer due to her tendency to want to stay on the nest. When she wasn't broody, though, she would lay about 4 eggs per week.

WVduckchick likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: