japanese bantams

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by prancyhorse, Jun 20, 2010.

1. prancyhorse

prancyhorse Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2009
    mocksville n.c.
    looking to buy quality short legged japanese bantams. if you have them please email me with price and location. i live in n.c. thanks karen

2. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    We've got long legs and we're in sooooo the wrong location for posting things BUT, I'd just like to say that if you are not showing them, the long legs are just as sweet as the short legs (and their legs aren't what you'd call long anyways).

Enjoy whatever you get, they are lovely friendly little birds but being smaller does not make the crowing any quieter !

3. NC29mom

NC29mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    Don't know the difference in short/long leg japanese, but we have a 2 roosters approximately 2 months old, want to either trade rooster for hen or buy some hens. In other words, we have 1 rooster to get rid of. We live in scotland neck nc. You probably want more though, huh??

Aren't they the MOST beautiful chickens??

4. solarquail

solarquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    I have a pair (boy and girl) just started laying of black tailed buff japenese bantams short leg hen and medium rooster. very pretty birds! can send pictures if youd like email me.

5. Oven Ready

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    Here's a couple of long leggies

This is RollerBall - our Rooster in waiting, he tries way too hard with the upright tail thing.
    [​IMG]

And this is Oven Reddy (because he was 'reddy' colored when he was a chick), our Rooster and RollerBalls Dad
    [​IMG]

6. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I do not know the difference either. I have 1 Japanese Bantam Birchen (grey) who is 14 weeks old we are giving away. We also have 9 2 week old chicks that are black and white. I am keeping the majority of the chicks, but we only have room for 1 roo, and 4 pullets max. So that means 4 will have to find another home roo or pullet. We haven't been able to sex them absolutely yet.

7. Oven Ready

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    A rule of thumb for long leg/short leg is that if you can't see the legs while the bird is standing normally (not crowing) then it's a short leg - they look like they are sitting down all the time. Long leg ones still have relatively short legs but they can be clearly seen when standing (as in the pictures above). Long legs don't carry the fatal short leg gene so breeding two long legs guarantees 100% long legs. Short legs have both long & short genes. Two short genes is fatal before/during hatching.
    Show standards here require the short leg gene.

8. NC29mom

NC29mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

these are ours, only a few months old. The orange one was a hen and she, sadly, died. Now we just have the 2 roosters. They are white japanese black tailed bantams.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by