Japanese Bantums and hamburgs - how many roosters so far?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by meepitqueenie, May 27, 2010.

1. meepitqueenie

meepitqueenie Gallo's Poultry Haven

May 26, 2010
    in the adirondacks
    I got some Jap bantums for my daughter - mottled and white with black tail in color.

So far it looks like 2 definite white with black tail roosters maybe a 3rd.

These are straight run chicks. And told my daughter that we would only maybe keep one rooster so she could show them if she wanted to at the local fair.

there are 13 birds. we figured 1/2 would be male at least so we would be very happy if more were hens.

here are the photos.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

also if you can possibly help with hamburgs how to i tell which ones are roosters? is it the wider comb?
    I ordered 5 and I couldn't get only females... so will be getting rid of all males.... please tell me i have a couple girls. of course one of them was hiding... LOL.

Also a neat thing about the chicks... the same breed types seem to huddle together. hamburgs together... polish together... etc... very interesting.
    [​IMG]

thanks for your input.

2. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I see 3 for sure males, maybe 4. Wait about another week or 2 and I'll be more sure. I could sex my japanese bantams at 4 weeks old easy.

3. chicken_china_mom

chicken_china_mom Crazy for Cochins

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    For absolute sure, I see one roo in the Japs, but I think I see 2 more. Hard to tell for sure though. In the Hamburgs it looks like the one in the middle. I find it harder with Rose combs and pea combs to tell roo from pullet. I was stressing as my EE chicks grew because I was so afraid I'd have a bunch of roos, but they are 8 weeks now and out of the 8 that survived, I have 2 roos (one we figured out early on because he has a straight comb and is the most dominant), and the other one just revealed himself about 3 weeks ago, maybe a little less than that. He's absolutely stunning too, by the way. [​IMG]

Your babies are precious. I have a really super tiny little Japanese hen, but we got her from the feed store, so we aren't exactly sure what color she is. She started feathering in white, but then the colors kind of changed a little, and now it looks like of her feathers have cream in them. And she has some black on some tail feathers, but not all of the tail. Plus it looks like she has the long leg gene. Oh well, she's a pet anyway, not for show, so I don't mind. She sure is awful cute though, and so are your babies. Congrats on them all by the way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by