Japanese Banty with swollen, pasty & bloody vent.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cocosflock, Jan 26, 2013.

1. cocosflock

cocosflock New Egg

Jan 26, 2013
    Hello Everyone,
    I'm new to this forum and hoping someone can give me some advice. I purchased a Japanese Bantam through an individual on Craigslist in December. She's approximately 4 to 5 months old and not laying eggs yet. She's quite spunky and vocal although definitely the most pecked on of my flock and tends to seek a safe spot when in the run and coop. Since I've had her she appears to have discomfort when she poops, gets a pasty butt often and has a bloody, swollen vent. For the past several days I've been cleaning the area with hydrogen peroxide and then applying mineral oil but have seen no improvement. She eats & drinks and appears healthy otherwise. I'm so afraid that her condition will get worse when she starts laying and I'd like to get it under control before that happens. I've seen some post about prolapse, but there's no "stuff" coming out of the valve. I've also read conflicting opinions on using Preparation H due to limiting blood flow in the area that is attempting to heal. Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Deborah

2. rollkeeg877

rollkeeg877 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2012
    london ontario
    those bantams i find are hard to keep with larger hens roosters cause there so small i had a jap bantam rooster i had to sell him cause he got picked on and was really dirty the other rooster use to mount him it got really bad

3. rollkeeg877

rollkeeg877 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2012
    london ontario
    i feel its best to just have one breed then several cause then you don't half to do i different things for each breed

4. cocosflock

cocosflock New Egg

Jan 26, 2013
    Thank you for your insights I was just primarily concerned about getting some feedback on treating her swollen behind Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by