Japanese Beetle Suet chicken treat.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by FarmGirl725, Jun 29, 2016.

1. FarmGirl725

FarmGirl725 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2016
    Ohio
    Has any one on here ever made a suet ball treat for their chickens that was filled with Japanese beetles? I am trying to think of a way to use the beetles after I get them off my grape vines.

2. Cacique500

Cacique500 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I haven't done a suet ball with them but my girls LOVE japanese beetles. I've got a couple decorative plants that the beetles like to munch on and when the girls see me going near those plants they come running over for "treats".

3. FarmGirl725

Mar 31, 2016
    Ohio
    I didn't think mine would like them. But when I gave a bunch of beetles to my hens they went crazy! Only a few got away before they gobbled them up! :)

4. BluHouseConvent

BluHouseConvent New Egg

Jun 3, 2016
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I was thinking about doing just this because I also have an excess of Japanese beetles. I found this as a general recipe. It sounds like you just have to add some Japanese beetles. Sounds like they aren't to fussy about stuff like that.

5. FarmGirl725

Mar 31, 2016
    Ohio
    That's a good idea. I used to make suet for the wild birds, just left-over cow fat and bird seed. I'm sure the chickens would love to pick at it for hours! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by