Japanese beetle trap for chicken run

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Agilityscots, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Agilityscots

Agilityscots Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Hey gang,

I haven't been around much lately because of school (I finally graduated from college--it only took me fifteen years!), but now I'm FREE.

We have a serious Japanese beetle infestation on our property, the worst I've ever seen it. I now know it's too late to try anything like beneficial nematodes or milky spore (we'll be doing something for next year for sure), but in the meantime, the beetles are on all my ornamental plants, in the vegetable garden, on the trees...they're also flying into my head every time I go outside!

A LONG time ago, someone on this list mentioned a rigged JB trap that "dispensed" directly into their chicken run. Anyone know how to do this? My girls would happily eat all I can supply them!

2. Bubba

Bubba Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2007
    You can get traps that release pheromes that attract the beetles. I just put figs out or whatever their favorite fruit is. I then pick them off toss them in a glass of water with just a tiny bit of olive oil/veggie oil in it to coat thier wings. The birds eat them like candy.

Bubba

PS What we call Japanese Beetles in So Cal are really Green Fig Beetles

3. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    You have built-in Japanese beetle traps--the chickens! [​IMG] Oops, sorry, should have read more carefully! I do remember seeing that about the trap that shoots them into the run. Now if we could just find it!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  4. Agilityscots

Agilityscots Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Quote:Now Bubba, if I did this, I'd be out there twelve hours a day! [​IMG] Seriously, we have 3.5 acres and they're currently all covered with those stupid beetles. I did try some handpicking, but it is an entirely futile effort. I can't let my chickens have the run of the property because the neighbor's dog would do to them what I want the chickens to do to the beetles!

5. BearSwampChick

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Did a search and this is the closest thing I could come up with:

"Oh yes! Mine LOVE them. I was reading in a magazine......I think... Backyard Poultry....this woman had a bad infestation of them. This is what SHE did.

Buy the Japanese beelte traps. they are bags....that have something in them that attracts the beetles. Its not a chemical poison...something about hormones or something like that. Well...she cut the bottom out of the bag and hung it just high enough so the chickens can not reach it, but put a large white pan under it. The beetles would be attracted to the bag...and go in the top...and fall out the bottom to the plate. She said her hens would stand there for hours, waiting on the "free lunch" to drop through.

For me....I let mine free range..and have seen VERY FEW of those nasty little buggers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Deb
    Heavens Door Acres"

6. ncgnance

ncgnance Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    "...Buy the Japanese beelte traps. they are bags....that have something in them that attracts the beetles. Its not a chemical poison...something about hormones or something like that. Well...she cut the bottom out of the bag and hung it just high enough so the chickens can not reach it, but put a large white pan under it. The beetles would be attracted to the bag...and go in the top...and fall out the bottom to the plate. She said her hens would stand there for hours, waiting on the "free lunch" to drop through....."

I tried this method last year. The trap worked just great, but as soon as the beetles hit the plate they would fly away again. My chickens didn't just stand at the plate waiting for them. So, it didn't work that well for me. What DID work was getting up early, going out to my flower bed, garden, etc, with my trusty bucket of water, and shaking the beetles into the water, just like a good organically inclined farmer would do. A little soap in the water keeps them from flying away, or you can just slosh the bucket around to half drown the buggers. Then, just call the chickens together and empty the bucket on the ground for a feast. a few might escape, but not many.

7. BearSwampChick

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    What about using a shallow pan filled with water for them to fall into and then the chooks could "Bob for Beetles"! [​IMG]

8. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:I was thinking the same thing. Great idea! [​IMG]

9. fivebigreds

fivebigreds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2007
    middle Tennessee
    I am catching them in a bag and collecting them daily and placeing them in a freezer bag to freeze as a winter snack.

10. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Quote:Just remember to share with your chickens!

[​IMG]

-Kim

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by