Japanese beetle

RogueHomesteader

Chirping
Jul 14, 2017
I have a flock of twenty birds and am always looking for ways to reduce the cost of feed. I recently went to Lowes and purchased some Japanese beetle traps and have an overabundance of the little insects. Is it okay to feed them to my chickens?

Okay, I recently emptied two full trap bags in their run and about three to four days later have had two die and the rest are somewhat lethargic (they stand/sit around and don't want to move around) and all seem to have runny, green poop. The day after I fed them to them they also had a small drop in their egg count. Could the beetles have been the problem or just summer heat?

There is no ingredients in the product that is harmful to chickens.As i said above you shouldn't feed them a bunch of them.As for yours chickens you can try doing a Epsom salt flush to get all the bugs out.Are they panting/spreading there wings out?Do they have shade?Is Cool Water available?

They have a run that is about 75% well shaded. They are not stretching their wings out either and have plenty of water. I used some diatomaceous earth and they are not getting worse. I brought one chicken inside as it was not improving and forced it to drink without any results. I tried an electrolyte drink (Powerade) and it seemed to revive somewhat although it still doesn't like to move. I don't believe it is Coccidiosis as it can walk perfectly fine, it's just lethargic. One thing I forgot to mention was its comb has turned from red to almost a blackish color and is drooping dramatically. I don't have experience with things like this so I appreciate all your help :)

There are poultry vitamins available at local feed stores..I would recommend Rooster Booster.It comes with a eye dropper,You can put a few drops in each of there mouth's every ten hours.If you have a fan you can put that in there run to cool them off.Can you take a picture of there comb?

I have it inside and it was a bit dark so the black didn't show up as well with the flash on but you can see basically how it looks. It actually looks a bit darker not in the photo.

Back
Top Bottom