Japanese beetles ok?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mszekely, May 12, 2011.

1. mszekely

mszekely Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    Vermilion, OH
    Hi, I was wondering if chickens like Japanese beetles? I usually get a bunch of them on my flowers. I wouldn't put any kind of killer on the flowers if the chickies would like them.

2. mitchell3006

mitchell3006 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Feed away. They will love them and you get natural control.

3. Ohhhdear

Ohhhdear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    West Michigan
    I have a friend who raises 50 acres of blueberries, and collects bushels of Japanese beetles using a water trap method in 2 liter soda bottles. I give him eggs, he gives me beetles that my girls gobble like popcorn!

4. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    Oh, MAN. My girls are going to make out like bandits this summer! I really do hate those beetles, and we get swarms of them.

5. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    My girls eat them like potato chips. They can't stop at one. [​IMG]
    But unfortunately, I have enough beetles to feed every chicken in the entire state.

6. AquaEyes

AquaEyes Chillin' With My Peeps

7. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    Quote:Do tell - what is this water trap and how would I make one? I have several blueberry bushes and I am tired of sharing nearly a 3rd of my harvest with these beetles [​IMG]

8. lfreem2

lfreem2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Waxhaw, NC
    Quote:Just bought 6 of these gizmos on Ebay! Thanks for the tip, AquaEyes. This will solve two problems--the dang beetles and feeding my birds yummy snacks. Thanks!

9. Ohhhdear

Ohhhdear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    West Michigan
    Quote:Do tell - what is this water trap and how would I make one? I have several blueberry bushes and I am tired of sharing nearly a 3rd of my harvest with these beetles [​IMG]

Not quite sure, MysticScorpio82; I've not seen them except for a casual glance, but he uses the pheromone attractants like you get in the commercial Japanese beetle traps and instead of funneling the bugs into a bag he collects them in a 2 liter soda bottle with water in the bottom. I think he uses the water to both weight the soda bottle from blowing around and to drown the beetles so they don't crawl back up the bottle and escape.

10. tiffanyrtrammell

tiffanyrtrammell Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2011
    Christiana, TN
    Great Info. Mine love to eat those beetles. Makes me happy as I don't like any type of crunchy bug [​IMG].

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by