Japanese Beetles

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by luecktl, Jul 3, 2010.

1. luecktl

luecktl New Egg

Jul 2, 2010
    Has anyone fed frozen japanese beetles to their chicks? We have been taking them straight from the traps and putting them in the deep freeze. Didn't know if this would hurt the chickens if the beetles are dead (frozen alive)?

2. lovinlife

lovinlife Chillin' With My Peeps

I can't imagine that would be harmful. Mine gobble up live japanese beetles like crazy. Frozen ones would just give them cold treats in the summer.

3. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    The traps are baited right? The bait is toxic and would transmit to the chickens. So No. But if there bait free (if theres a such thing) then i guess so.

4. lovinlife

lovinlife Chillin' With My Peeps

Eeek. I missed that part. I have no idea what a beetle trap is. I agree with the other poster, if they are baited, don't feed the beetles to the chickens.

I gather beetles off the ground under my lamp post and on the patio. No traps involved.

5. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    The Japanese Bug-in-a bag are baited, but the beetles don't touch the bait - they are drawn to it and for some miraculous reason drop in the bag when they get near the bait. So, I would think you can just empty the bag

6. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Quote:The bait in the trap is a pheremone (sex attractant) and not a poison. The beetles simply are attracted and fall in the trap & can't get out. They are fine to feed to your chickens.

7. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    Has anyone hung the trap in or near the chicken run. The beatles are drawn to the pherome and I am hoping the chicks will gobble up the ones that haven't made it to the bag.

8. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Quote:The bait in the trap is a pheremone (sex attractant) and not a poison. The beetles simply are attracted and fall in the trap & can't get out. They are fine to feed to your chickens.

Wow................I hadn't even finished hanging that trap when they swarmed over................

9. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Hmm.. how about hanging the bag trap in the run and opening the bottom of the bag a little? beetles drop in, drop out the bottom for the chickens.. mmm yummy beetles!

10. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    I have Japanese beetle traps hanging, but as I stroll through my gardens, any beetle I see~~I just grab it and SQUISH it [​IMG] then drop it in my weed bucket. The chickens go crazy hunting for the squished beetles amongst the weeds. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by