1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Japanese Beetles........

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by gavinandallison, Jun 9, 2011.

1. gavinandallison

gavinandallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Matthews, NC.
    Did you all know these are regarded a delicacy to chickens - 100% instant protein. The Japanese Bettle season is almost here, so a reminder to allto look at this idea and use it if you want.

enjoy!

2. ranit

ranit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Illinois
    A few years ago when we were having problems with Japanese beetles I hung the beetle attractants in my pheasant pen. The beetles would swarm into the pen and the pheasants would jump up and grab them. Kept the beetles off my fruit trees with the added bonus of free food for the pheasants.

3. HLAC

HLAC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    Central Utah
    That's a really good idea. I do get beetles that stay in the tops of the fruit trees. At least until there are no more leaves to eat. [​IMG]

When they get bad here, you need a pretty big receptacle to catch them in. They fill those bags in about 20 minutes.

[​IMG]

4. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Last year we would knock the bugs into a dish of water and feed that way to the hens.They were to lazy to pick them off the bushes!

Wow that is a lot of bugs in the barrel!

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Holy moley !!!!! I need to get me one of dem traps LOL. Maybe I can save my tomato crop this year, JB's devestate them. Where do you get those ??? I would like to order some.

6. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Do you know what the beetles eat? Mine are just flying around, not really landing on anything. Is there a food or fruit they're attracted too? Don't want to travel 15 miles to buy one of those traps, so I'd like to put some sort of food they'd land on so I can pick them off and feed them to my chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by