Japanese coop for Japanese Bantams

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Kitty135, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Kitty135

Kitty135 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Hello! I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas for a Japanese looking coop?? We are going to start my Japanese bantam coop soon and we were hoping for it to have a Japanese look to it. Suggestions and ideas are welcome!

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

What a cute idea!! I'd just look up photos of Japanese pagodas and other structures and just model after something you like. I'd sure like to see pics if others have coops like this already - but you could be the first [​IMG]

3. DazeGoneBy

DazeGoneBy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    There are some great links to coop designs here, just click the top link!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  4. Kitty135

Apr 2, 2011
    Thanks for the input! I really like the first coop! Also, would a koi pond be safe in the run with the chickens?

5. DazeGoneBy

Jul 25, 2011
    I think the Koi would not be bothered by chickens.

6. Kitty135

Apr 2, 2011
    Hmm... but would the chickens eat the koi or would their... uh, droppings, dirty the water too much?

7. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
  8. DazeGoneBy

Jul 25, 2011
    Quote:I quote from the original poster (and those pics were fantastic, thanks for sharing Pharm Girl) post #221:
    "I would imagine if the water were calm, they could swim. I would hesitate to let your guard down however. If a chicken does not know what to do in water, they will sometimes panic. We taught our chickens to swim with lots of supervision. "

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:That chalet coop is a great look! [​IMG]

10. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    How funny you should ask. I was killing time today between appointments and I picked up a copy of Hobby Farms magazine "Chickens Summer 2011" and on page 25 there is an advertisement for www.cconly.com that showed a coop called the "Chicken Tower, C-8" that looked like a chicken coop replica of the Golden Pavilion in Kyoto...sort of. I just checked out their website and can't find a photo of the coop in the magazine.

[​IMG]

Anyway, here's a photo of the Golden Pavilion I took this spring on a big family adventure. Imagine the bottom layer being a run with a ramp leading up to the second layer, which was the main coop, complete with Japanese style sliding wood doors and then the top layer being basically ventilation and you'll have the idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by