Japanese Coturnix Falb-Fee Discussion Thread

CoturnixComplex

Crowing
Nov 16, 2018
The falb-fee genes basically suck all the warm tons out of the normal pharaoh pattern, turning it into a striking cream, grey, and black bird.

Theoretically, this is an incomplete dominant, meaning that birds with only one copy of the gene will express the color, but birds with two copies will look different/more intense. I have not been able to compare heterozygous vs. homozygous birds in person yet.

It's also a feather sexable pattern - males will have a solid cream chest while females will have the characteristic spotting.

falb-fee chick (lower left) next to pharaoh chick (upper right)
IMG_20190214_175039665_HDR.jpg

a few juveniles
IMG_20190225_124005427.jpg

male
IMG_20190516_191547440_HDR.jpg

female
[Will edit pic in shortly, do not have a good one]

Have you got this color? Want to know where to find some? Noticed anything unusual about breeding it or any particularly interesting combinations with other colors? Have pictures to share? Join in!

From what I’ve heard roux + fee will create a lighter colored roux, and if you breed the light one to another fee, you can get even lighter roux if some offspring carry roux and two copies of fee. As far as how these came about and what they are called, I’m not sure, that male looks like golden and fee almost, but I also have a male with patchy beige feathers along the edges of a bare white pied chest (not fee so darker than yours) and he was normal looking pharaoh tux, and those beige feathers started popping up at about 5.5 weeks old, and I think they might be a natural development of the male chest feathers along the edges of the pied areas. I have snowie eggs incubating now, so hopefully next year I’ll have better first hand knowledge to share.

This is not the Fee factor. Much to much brown, even for heterozygous birds.

Probably it is different dilution factor.

To be honest, difficult to say which.

I got Brown-Wildpattern birds, looking similar to the mother, but it is recessive, so would not inherite to the son in pic 2+3. The roos also look different.
20201003_180002.jpg

If I would have seen the son without the story, I would have guessed a Calico... (see pic).
But I don't know much about Calicos, yet.
So I cannot verify.
s210624372100856811_p39_i3_w980 (1).jpeg

What would you call these

Attachments

• 7B4FE53B-CE7C-476E-B3CA-E7B70FA25A6C.jpeg
    7B4FE53B-CE7C-476E-B3CA-E7B70FA25A6C.jpeg
    485.3 KB · Views: 49
  • B8EFD05F-6C0E-4F8D-8D93-965E426EAD36.jpeg
    B8EFD05F-6C0E-4F8D-8D93-965E426EAD36.jpeg
    515.4 KB · Views: 45
Ok, soooooo this might be a dumb question, but is it possible to get a falb fee that is all of the red accents but none of the brown, as if it were reverse? We recently hatched some eggs from our solid white coturnix and our wild color one and got some crazy grey ones that are faintly reddish... would this count as a falb fee? I did some research before I posted this, and the only one that looks faintly like ours is a chicken quail hybrid??? Sorry if I'm totally wrong, as I know nothing about quail colors, but I'm curious what these guys colors are called. Thanks!
View attachment 2330185View attachment 2330186View attachment 2330189unfortunately, he has been dust-bathing in out red dirt we have here so his usually more white chest has been slightly dyed more red than the usual white.

The first 2 looks like silver/platinum color, I have some silver hatched out with those same colors. Someone correct me if I’m wrong, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom