Japanese do they go broody...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Arklady, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Arklady

Arklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Kansas
    Cause I have some and I see they are laying right now. I just wanted to know if they are good broodies or not because I really didn't want to start up the brooder. Still... it is a bit early.

Does anyone know??

Arklady

2. Hi!
    They are supposed to be good setters (they seem to be more seasonal here , not like Silkies and Cochins that can stay broody year-round) and good mothers.

Happy Holidays!
    Lisa

3. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    Japs do go broody. I use to have Greys, white's,black tailed white's, buff black tailed and blacks. All but the buff black tails lated and set very well. The Greys were the best!

4. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine black one just went broody.although I took the egg since we are SO cold here...........will hope she does in spring....and she had just starting laying.

5. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    They are great mothers. The black tailed whites I had went broody like clock work every spring and hatched eggs out on the fourth of July for three consecutive years (has anyone else had this kind of timing?). This one BTW hen I had paired up with my bantam cochin/japanese hen every year and raised the chicks together.

[​IMG]

6. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Is that really the buff chickens head? Looks very strange. Maybe it is the angle the photo was taken?

7. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    Yeah, I never noticed but it does look weird! Here's another pic of the couple:

[​IMG]

8. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Oh shes cute!

9. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    My black-tailed white goes broody once or twice a year. I messed up on her second broody phase this year and tried to move her inside. Didn't work, she stopped setting the eggs. [​IMG] Nextime I'll just leave her alone and let her do her thing. She does make a good mother when she has successful hatches. [​IMG]

10. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Are all Japanese bantams? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by