JAPANESE quail can't walk

Quail213

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2017
My quails were born on 5/25/17 and one of the quails has this habit to kick its legs to the side while being flat on the ground for som reason it can't walk and it's hips seem to go one way and the toes seem curled.

Sounds like it has splayed legs. You will need to hobble it's legs close together in a normal position, far enough apart that they can still walk (it will take a little getting used to for the chick). Usually it resolves itself in 24 hours. Look up how to treat splayed legs. There are lots of suggestions online as to what to use and how to do it. Curled toes usually resolve themselves. I'd fix the splayed legs first.

Sounds like it has splayed legs. You will need to hobble it's legs close together in a normal position, far enough apart that they can still walk (it will take a little getting used to for the chick). Usually it resolves itself in 24 hours. Look up how to treat splayed legs. There are lots of suggestions online as to what to use and how to do it. Curled toes usually resolve themselves. I'd fix the splayed legs first.

Agreed and it needs to be done ASAP. I've had a couple of hatchlings do this and with a friend and the right materials it's simple to make a splayed leg brace and they usually only have to wear it for 1-3 days and then are perfectly normal.

Also what flooring are you using? If using newspaper or other slippery flooring change to something with more friction like paper towels, this will help. Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom