Japanese Quail Chicks Hatched! >>>PICS<<<

Discussion in 'Quail' started by SeptemberQuail, Nov 16, 2012.

1. SeptemberQuail

SeptemberQuail Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2012
    Australia
    Yay! Throughout three days, 10 out of 34 have hatched (Yeah it's not a lot, but it's my first time incubating!)
    Eggs that I've marked as empty, hatched!
    Now I know not to do the float test so early anymore.
    These guys are wild coloured and roux dilute/cinnamon, I believe. The wild-coloured one's mother is like a lighter shade of wild-coloured, except, not as light as the roux dilute type.

First chick to hatch! Named him/her Lucky. Because he/she was born quick, and healthy. He hatched two days ago.
    He ventured from one spot to the other in the incubator, pushing the eggs in his way.
    He doesn't like being handled.

[​IMG]

Found another two hatch early in the morning on Friday.

[​IMG]

One on my hand - she had a curled toe, but she's okay now. It magically healed!
    Ignore the mess - we were preparing the brooder. xD And I just came home from school...

[​IMG]

Three of them in the brooder.
    [​IMG]

These four hatched yesterday in the afternoon - night on Friday...
    The little white-ish one has two curled toes.
    [​IMG] But she's strong enough to follow her friends.
    [​IMG]

This guy's the smallest. >.<
    [​IMG]

One more chick added into the brooder.
    [​IMG]

*Might add more later.*

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  2. HoneyNutmeg

HoneyNutmeg Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2012
    Australia
    They are adorable! Oh my gosh, so much fluffier than what mine were, but sooooo cute!
    So happy that 10 hatched, I hope some of the other's hatch as well. :)

3. congrats very nice indeed. mine should be hatching today or tom. good luck with the rest of them.

4. SeptemberQuail

SeptemberQuail Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2012
    Australia
    Sadly the other's haven't hatched - I believe due to the age the eggs are. See, I have 2 coturnix quail producing 2 fertile eggs a day, and viabilitiy is at it's latest at 7 days. So the last 14 eggs should've hatched, because they had a better viability rating. Because the 2 hens in one week produced 14 fertile eggs which are within the 'viable' limit. (Not sure I used that word in the right context)

Which means instead of 11 out of 34, it can be dropped to 11 out of 14, meaning I got 78% to hatch. ^.^
    I still love them, and slowly trying to get them to like me more, they're still scared of my hand approaching, but curiously peck at it and sometimes climb over it or under my arm to move around.
    Haha, little Lucky has those stems that feathers have, except without the actual feathers, on his wings now! He is bigger than the rest, so I can easily tell him apart from them.
    I miss those little flappy things they had for wings before as day old's... but I'm proud to see them develop those 'chicken wings'.

Good luck on your next hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by