Japanese quail housing?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by ChooksAndDucks, Aug 8, 2013.

1. ChooksAndDucks

ChooksAndDucks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2013
    Hello, Could anyone advise me how to house 12 Japanese quail(2M/10F) for egg production happily? Pictures would be helpful :D I haven't got them yet because I don't want to keep them crapped up in something that is too small.

Thanks, Luke.

2. dougjefferson

dougjefferson Out Of The Brooder

Rabbit type hutch 4 x 2 minimum. Overturned pots or whatever for hideaways. Food and water. But thats just me. Depends where you are and keeping inside/outside etc. Look at previous posts about housing.

3. [​IMG]

8X3 Great for giving them plenty of room.

4. ChooksAndDucks

Aug 8, 2013
    Thanks guys, Chick Charm how many quail do you keep in there?

Thanks, Luke.

5. I try to keep 12. Although I have had as many as 17. It affords the ability to house 25 if needed with all the space to provide what the need. As a rule Cots need about 1 sf of space per bird. However you can (in larger spaces) more birds in the average 1 sf per bird. For example I have put 1 male and 5 females in a 2X2 wire cage for breeding purposes and had good results and the birds stayed in good health.

Phil

6. I made this one out of recycled Pallets. It was 2'6'' X 3'6'' and did well for 5 to 6 males in a bachelors quarters set up.
    [​IMG]

7. ChooksAndDucks

Aug 8, 2013
    Thanks Phil I may use one of your designs there fab! is it correct you have to have a male for the females to lay? some say you don't and some say you do It confuses me

Thanks, Luke.

8. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Here is a link with several pages of members quail pens.
    I hope this is of assistance.
    James
    Edited to add: I would be wrong not to show you these "tractors" that another member uses.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  9. ChooksAndDucks

Aug 8, 2013
    Thanks James found those links really helpful :)

10. Coturnix females will lay with or without a male.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by