japeness bantams babies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ameraucanacrazy, Feb 19, 2009.

1. ameraucanacrazy

ameraucanacrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2009
    macon,ga
    do baby japeness bantams have a dieses that kills some of the babies if they do tell me please

2. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    hmm, never heard of this with Japanese Bantams. I have heard of Ameraucana having a fatal gene but not sure if it is true.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  3. ameraucanacrazy

ameraucanacrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2009
    macon,ga
    do japeness hen go broody often

4. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Yes and no. They don't have a DISEASE, but the short leg gene is a lethal gene. That's about all I know about it though.

5. CalicoFarm

CalicoFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    North East Alabama
    I read that it is a lethal gene, not sure what it is. It also shows up in the Seramas too. I wonder if it is anything like the lethel whites in overo paint horses. Some overos carry the gene and when the babies are born they are pure white and die soon after birth. There digestive system is not complete.

6. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

Jap's have a gene that can cause death in chic's before they hatch. Its not anything that can spread to other chics. Jap's either carry a short leg gene (which can be fatal) or a regular gene and a short leg gene (which produces your short leg japs or just a regular leg gene. If you breed a short leg rooster and a short leg hen your going to have a good percentage of eggs laid that are goin to have the lethal short leg gene which means more than likely your going have some chic's die before hatching. Correct me if Im wrong but I think the hens can only pass 1 gene. A rooster can pass the short leg gene or the regular leg gene. Show quality Japs have the short leg gene. Most breeders keep a short leg roo and regular leg hens to get a good hatch rate with the possiblity of short leg chicks. If I've confused ya I'm sorry. In other words if both parents pass on a short leg gene to the chic it usually dies in the shell , thats why they call it the lethal gene.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  7. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Oh that is so interesting! Never knew what the whole lethal gene was about. Is that true with the Ameraucana do you know?

8. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I think maybe they mean the tuft gene in Araucanas. Araucanas (rumpless & tufted) have a tuft gene that they only need one copy of. If they receive two copies of the gene they die (not sure if this is always or mostly... but it is lethal)

9. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Quote:They like to go broody and are good moms.

Breeding them is a little complex because of the short leg gene. Basically you don't breed short to short if you want more than 1/2 your eggs to hatch.

10. holahead

holahead Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2009
    Alabama
    What is the tuft gene in the araucana? Should I be worried about it? That is the breed of chicks I am getting. Is it just something while they are still in the eggs or is something they can spread to other chicks or people? Sorry for so many questions just starting out and would like to know as much as I can about what I am doing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by