Jarrah sawdust Bedding

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nickmancity, Dec 20, 2012.

1. nickmancity

nickmancity Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2012
    i use Jarrah for the coop and the run , is this ok for the birds? i have it in bulk so i do hope it is ok......... im sure my birds are due to start laying this week ,what are the signs that tell you they are due to lay?Also i use straw and hay is this ok ?.Thanks ..

2. Chicken Soj

Chicken Soj Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2012
    i know the straw and hay is ok, but i have never used jarrah before. best of luck!

3. nickmancity

nickmancity Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2012
    thanks SOJ ......ive noticed that the old school dont really help on this site ...........they probs sick of the same old questions .....us novices need help .....come on chaps , every question ive asked on here up to now has fell on deaf ears .............

4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I've never used sawdust. I've heard not to because it's dusty and when the chickens scratch and flap, well, the airborne particulates they stir up aren't healthful. I use chopped straw in the coop and fallen leaves or mowed grass and pulled weeds (seasonally) in the run. This works well for me and it's pretty inexpensive (a bale of straw runs $4, my dad chops it in his shredder, and it lasts me 4 months).

ETA: signs they are ready to lay is covered pretty extensively if you do a search. Look for reddened combs/faces, squatting behavior, examining the nesting boxes...

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  5. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Is the material sawdust or is shavings? I use bedding that comes from the wood shop and is mostly shavings with about a third sawdust. with that they stir up enough dust to give everything in the rest of the barn a dust covering. If I didn't use the deep litter method, the dust from using new all the time would be a concern.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by