1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

jasmine or jasper? Help please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by nova022, Oct 12, 2012.

1. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    I have been wondering for a while whether my 10 week old hatchery SLW is a pullet or roo. She is definitely the dominate one of the flock and the others follow no questions asked. Any thoughts? Thanks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. countrygoddess

countrygoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

I say pullet

3. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

What really throws it off is the comb. Dots are not supposed to have a single comb by standard, but a lot do anyway. For the longest time I thought my girl was going to be a boy because of that comb, but nope. I am going to go with pullet also since it looks so much like how my pullet look at 10 weeks.

4. nova022

Aug 3, 2012
    I have been looking for the pointed saddle and hackle feathers that indicate boy, but so far her feathers look round. The lacing makes them appear pointed but I don't think they really are. I don't know what age those feathers really come in though. I think every bird I have has a single comb, but I guess that might be because they all came from the same place. Thanks

5. nova022

Aug 3, 2012
    Thanks.

6. yorklady

yorklady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2012
    Looks like a pullet to me!

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm leaning toward roo. Did we see this bird before or does someone else have a very similar single combed slw? Anyway, same as the other one, those white patches on the shoulder make me lean toward roo, plus the lacing isn't as even as most pullets. I would think to see more comb at this age, but with slw supposed to be rose comb I'm not sure how that might affect comb development.

I'd love to see pics in a month or so, see how things are looking then.

Edited.....it is the same bird. Doesn't look like much has changed since then, you'll have to give it a few weeks. Then, it's usually best to add to your old thread so folks can see the older pics, too.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  8. nova022

Aug 3, 2012
    That is a good idea to add to the old thread. I will certainly do that next time. How old are they before the saddle and hackle feathers would come in?

9. nova022

Aug 3, 2012
    Thanks

10. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    with the white patches on the wings i am leaning towards a cockerel but gove it 6 more weeks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by