Jasper hates chickens

Eggbert44

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 27, 2013
I would like to free range my chickens but I am sure my dog would chase them. When he gets around the yard he growls at them and looks for a way in. He got in once by mistake and chased them until I caught him and put him out. Any suggestions?

welcome-byc.gif
Obedience training starting with the 'leave it' command might help.

Obedience training first...If that doesn't work, shock collar and a remote. Sounds bad but that is how they train dogs to avoid rattle snakes here in the west...

When he / she goes near a bird or chase them, shock him / her..It hurts and it will take a couple of times but you will change the dogs behavior.

A verbal "leave it" with a shock shortly after...Give them time to "leave it" before issuing the shock but not to long...Have them come to you and treat them. Reinforce good behavior with a treat...Shocking should be a last resort..Obedience training is preferable..

We use an invisible fence and the dog gets a correction if she gets within six feet of the run.

Phil, my RIR roo is only 5-6 months old. Mabe next summer he'll be enough to protect his girls. I wouldn't want him to hurt Jasper too badly though. Luckily he's a fast runner.

We've got a little dog named Jasper who looks just like yours he's a teddy bear, shitzhu bicon cross. He is mesmerized by the chickens he just stands by the fence and stares at them, which scares the bejesus out of them and they run for the coop, I don't think he would really bother them, it's my wife's pomeraninan who is the trouble maker she charges the fence snarling and barking and really scares them. I am planning a good rooster encounter for her. She's got a big bark but I think if a big red rooster came after her she'd be runnin for the house in a hurry

Back
Top Bottom