Jaundiced/Pale/Orange/Lethargic hen

Summer98

Songster
8 Years
Sep 11, 2011
One of my hens has been a very orange and pale looking color for quite some time. I would describe it as jaundiced more than pale (like anemia) pale. Although some days she seems more orange than others. She is getting very thin. Although I do see her eat and drink and her crop has been full of food and water each day. I watched her pass a stool one day and it was all brown in color and liquid. No signs of worms. I examined her vent area and there are no lice. It feels very thin around the vent, mostly just her skeletal structure. Although she does take in food and water, she doesn't eat as much as the others. She acts more lethargic and lingers around the coop a lot. She will peck at the food and water with no enthusiasm. I'm worried if she may have a plugged up intestine like another hen I did a necropsy on because she is so thin. I definitely don't think it's worms or lice. Any ideas?

Sounds like jaundice resulting from hepatitis but many things can injure the liver. However, the addition of diarrhea means it could be bacterial in which case the chief culprits would be E. coli (colibacillosis) or salmonella.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2819778/

If I were in your shoes I would see if it responds to ciprofloxacin or Baytril.

Back
Top Bottom