Java chick with hemorrhoid?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GoodLuckCharlie!, May 11, 2011.

1. GoodLuckCharlie!

GoodLuckCharlie! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    I have a 5 day old Mottled Java that I picked up from the local feed store 2 days ago. Its the 2nd time I've had to clean her bum for her-caking poo. I thought the first time cleaning it would take care of what looks like hemorrhoids, really carefully cleaned with warm water and baby wipes, but this time I cleaned the area for about 5 minutes slowly to not hurt her getting the poo off. So she's a little wet, and I put her back in with the other chicks and she was trying to stand up under the light and getting pushed around...don't know if she's not doing well or if I shocked her a little by cleaning her up and holding her-although she pretty easily sat there for me to help her. She's very sweet and calm to begin with. I separated her just in case and put her brooder bin next to the others Any ideas on how to help the hemorrhoid type thing? [​IMG] Thanks.

2. mrszlopez

mrszlopez Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    I would say keep up the cleaning & keep a good eye on her. What feed store did you get her from ? We just got 5day old mottled java chicks from our feed store as well !

3. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    [​IMG] You know that most chicks' vents are a little pooched out, is this one's sticking out more than the others'? Is it red or inflamed-looking? If so you can try a tiny dab of Preparation H on a Q-tip, or even a bit of table sugar. Be sure the other chicks don't peck it off. You can also CAREFULLY pick or cut the poo away from the vent when it's dried, rather than get the chick wet by soaking/washing it off. Just be sure to not cut off the edges of the vent. I use manicure scissors and just cut through the fluff.

4. GoodLuckCharlie!

Apr 10, 2011
    Thanks for the info...I'm in San Diego area, CA, and the feed store was Escondido Feed & Supply. As far as Java, I figured the other chicks would be pecking at her so I put her in her own container with the heat lamp a little lower to one side so she could choose to sit closer under it and warm up/dry off faster, which she did. After about 3 hours she was dry, and slept almost the whole time. I helped her drink a few times, and since she didn't act differently except quiet, I put her back in with the others. Her vent was protruded and red, but now its looking a little more normal. She poo'ed a normal one, hopefully that helps. I'll do the prep H thingy if again. But now I see of the 3 Mottled Javas and 1 Black Java, all 3 of the Mottled Javas are having 'pooing issues'. They're really super sweet-more quiet than my Americaunas. [​IMG]

5. GoodLuckCharlie!

Apr 10, 2011
    Bummer, I woke up to my Java chick all pasted up again...don't know how to keep her from doing that-any suggestions please? Thanks.

6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    GoodLuckCharlie! :

Bummer, I woke up to my Java chick all pasted up again...don't know how to keep her from doing that-any suggestions please? Thanks.

have you tried putting a little olive oil around her vent? It helps to keep the poo from sticking. Use a q-tip and gently roll it around her vent- get it on all the little feathers around. How old are your chicks? My shipped chicks got pasty butt for the first week I had them, then it cleared up. Feed store (hatchery chicks) go through more stress, that's why they get the icky butt. I never get it on my home hatched chicks. Be diligent and keep them clean. It should pass on its own. Her vent may just be red and a little swollen from the cleanings, the prep h will still help with that. Good luck!

Edited: sorry just noticed they are 5 days old. You should be in the home stretch with the pastey butt. Don't get discouraged- its very common [​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  7. GoodLuckCharlie!

Apr 10, 2011
    Oh, great idea with the olive oil! I'll do that. I did just read it happens around the first week-and exactly the same for me-my 3 hatched no pasting, 2 of the 4 from the feed store, pasting. Thanks! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  8. GoodLuckCharlie!

Apr 10, 2011
    Thanks so much for the olive oil remedy-it worked beautifully! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by