1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Java Peafowl Color, Help!

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by bdfive, May 20, 2011.

1. bdfive

bdfive Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    South of Blanco, TX
    I have a pair of Java peafowl. When I bought them the yellow/gold on their faces were bright but it's faded out to practically nothing. Why has this happened? Is there a feed I should be giving them? Thanks for your help.

2. DMFarm

DMFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Winona Tx
    Corn will put the yellow on they face but if they are javas and not spalding the yellow should not fade. Post a picture of them.

3. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    I think I read somewhere that the sunlight also helps keep that bright yellow on their face...Something about if they are kept inside a shelter or shade the color can fade because they are not getting enough sunlight? I am not sure if that is true but who knows...
    I agree with the corn thing though...Some of my peafowl like my blackshoulder hen after eating a little corn for just a few days will get a slight yellow tint to their skin under their eye.

A picture would help, especially cause I want to see how pretty they are![​IMG]

4. bdfive

Jul 11, 2010
    South of Blanco, TX
    Thanks for the replies. Seems I read way before getting these birds that feeding them kelp will keep that color vivid but I can't find that is the case anywhere and can't find kelp to feed them. I've been told that if I don't have D&A proof I shouldn't call them Java. Bought them from 2 different sellers and they swore they are Java. I'll try to take some pictures. I have a digital camera but don't know how to erase what's already on there so each time I transfer to the computer they all go and I have to delete them, LOL!!! I have 3 year olds from last year that are from the Java male and 2 Spalding peahens I was told are about 50% Java. The yearlings have quite a bit of yellow on their faces. Love my birds......I'm telling you...I love my birds. (-: Thanks.

Oh....can't be the sun. They get plenty. The yellow was dark when I got them as adults so there is a reason it's fading. I give them plenty of fresh vegetables and fruit. Feed them gamebird feed. I read they need lots of protein but it's suggested they get different strengths of protein during the year with some of it only being 19% protein. Should I be giving them more like 28% year round?

5. Blob Chicken

Blob Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    Try to get some Repashy Superpig. Its a Carotenoid mixure. Just mix a little into the food everytime you change it and your pea's will have bright yellow faces in no time [​IMG]

6. bdfive

Jul 11, 2010
    South of Blanco, TX
    WOW, just looked up Rapasy Superpig....had never heard of it. It does say used to enhance color in birds. I'll see if the local pet store has any and if not order some through internet. Thanks.

Regarding corn to help the color. I give it to them in the winter and see no change in color. Thanks.

Any other ideas why it may be fading out?

7. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    I have also in the past feed corn in the winter, for sure will put the yellow in their face, even blues,

8. bdfive

Jul 11, 2010
    South of Blanco, TX
    Waaaaaa, it's so hot here in south Texas we don't have much winter to yellow up the birds. I need another solution. Fact that they were adult when I bought them with plenty of yellow and it's fadded it must be something I'm doing wrong. What do you folks feed your peafowl? Java? Many thanks.

9. DMFarm

DMFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Winona Tx
    I feed mine a 20% lay pellet in the winter I feed them corn also when the temp get low.

10. bdfive

Jul 11, 2010
    South of Blanco, TX
    I'm assuming chicken layer pellets? What brand? I read gamebird feed or turkey feed is best for peafowl.....sure is confusing, LOL!

Can a not so big snake swallow a peafowl egg?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by