Java Peafowl

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by bdfive, Jun 28, 2011.

1. bdfive

bdfive Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    South of Blanco, TX
    My Java's and high percentage Spalding's yellow/gold color in the faces is fading away. Is it the feed or ?????? If so, what do those of you with Java's feed them? What other causes could it be? Thanks so much!!!

2. CORNISH_MAN

CORNISH_MAN Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    CALVARY,KY
    My Java male is doing the same thing and im feeding a really good feed so I dont think its the feed at all.

3. bdfive

Jul 11, 2010
    South of Blanco, TX
    Thanks for the reply. We have to get this figured out. That yellow/gold color is part of their trait. I read somewhere that kelp helps, bought some and have been using it but don't see any change. I asked a breeder if his is fading and he said no. "What do you feed them?". His answer "Layer Feed". I called the feed store where he purchases it and it's nothing special and only 16% protein. I give them Purina Gamebird Feed which I read is what they should have. I'm really frustrated, LOL!!!

4. CORNISH_MAN

CORNISH_MAN Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    CALVARY,KY
    Quote:Maybe thats whats wrong were feeding to high protein. Im feeding a 22% gamebird feed. What % pro are your feeding?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  5. bdfive

Jul 11, 2010
    South of Blanco, TX
    It's about that but I'm so bad about giving them vegetable and fruit almost daily. Maybe they're eating that and not eating enough feed however if that isn't the case for you and yours are loosing the color then it's not that. I read some suppliment given to gecko lizards would bring out the color. Asked at our local pet store and they don't carry it. I'm stumped.....what are we going to do? [​IMG]

Did have a neighbor tell me that when he worms his variety of birds including peacocks with Wazine their color comes back. He says it the worms but I worm mine twice a year with Safeguard and Ivermectin and it hasn't made a difference in color. I did purchase some Wazine....figured I'd try it but it's so dang hot here I keep out pans of water for them to stand in to cool off and naturally they're going to drink from it as well as from their water pan so would sure have to put out a bunch. I'm not sure of the dosage yet....have never used it before.

6. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

delete

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  7. bdfive

Jul 11, 2010
    South of Blanco, TX
    Come on Steve, join us in this added insanity, LOL!!! I still don't have any Java chicks. The hen had been setting about 4 days when she heard the 7 Spaldings chirping in the baby pen situated in the next pen. She left her eggs and started pacing the fencing wanting to get to them.....guess she thought they were hers. Unfortunately she wouldn't get back on so they are in the incubator. I've not been doing well hatcing them myself so may have to wait until next year. My Spaldings are growing into nice birds. I have 3 from last years hatch, 1 female and 2 males. Lots of gold/yellow in their faces and I don't want that to fade away. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

delete

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  9. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Quote:Yeah once I got settled into having India blues and a few of their varieties I was like "Oh I sure love those green peafowl, I wonder if I could have some of those..." Lol it never stops.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by