Java Peahen eating everyones feather. What can I do to stop her?

Cathlina

In the Brooder
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Texas Transplant
I am getting really frustrated with her. Last year I got no fertile eggs from her because she imtimated her mate. So I got a new male and she is doing it again. I trimmed her beak but hate to have to do it again. Anyone ever have this kind of problem?

Thanks
frow.gif

Have you made sure her diet is up to par? She maybe lacking protein or methione. You could add black oil sunflower seeds (with or without the shells-no salt)to her diet and that would help with both.

I 2nd the black oil sunflower seeds

We had a JG that would walk around and peck a feather from everybody else, not pecking to hurt or anything, just picking a feather so casually.
I started the sunflower seeds and it stopped shortly after.

I have a Java Male that plucks and eats all of the chest feathers from my 1/4 java White hen. Since I live in NY, they are in a heated barn all winter and I think that they are bored and dont like the confinement. They share the barn with lots of other types of birds, However, they have their own coop. Poor hen was not looking too good early on but now has started to grow her feathers back in.

Thanks for the imput. I am feeding them what I think is a good feed ration but I will get the sunflower seeds ASAP. I feed them a mix of gamecock/gamebird breeder ration, with a touch of clovite. I give them fruits once a week. I free feed them so can I hurt them if I free feed the sunflower seeds?

Thanks
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom