Javas, Critical Breeds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MooseHillFarm, Jan 29, 2008.

1. MooseHillFarm

MooseHillFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Connecticut
    I'm interested in raising endangered, critical breeds. I can find some of these breeds (Delaware, Dorkings) from Murray McMurray, but they don't carry Javas.
    I already have Anconas which are fairly scarce, and I've raised Hamburgs and Buttercups. The Anconcas are the last surviving, so they are very hardy! I'll probably get more Anconas, and also want to try Dominiques.
    If anyone knows where I can get Javas, I'd appreciate it. Any more suggestions as to which birds are considered endangered, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks, Becky

2. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Ideal and Sand Hill both have Mottled Javas. Good luck on your search. [​IMG]

3. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Of the 2 sources listed you should only consider Sand Hill if you're interested in breed preservation. They have a genetically pure flock while Ideal will send you something that may or may not be a Java.

4. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Shady Lane has blacks and they are show stock. They carry a few endangered breeds. They have a web site too.

5. MooseHillFarm

MooseHillFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Connecticut
    Thanks all for your replies,
    I'll be checking out Sandhill for Java stock and let you know what I find.....I'm ready for a new flock; of 12 chickens, 2003, I've got 4 left, 3 Anconas, 1 RI Red. Hamburgs, Buttercups long gone, won't replace.
    Reds, I love, Anconas are keepers. Thinking of replacing Hams and butters with SS and Delawares or Dominiques.
    Becky

6. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    BARNEVELDERS......are endangered. They lay brown eggs, are calm friendly birds and are good setters. You mentioned Dominiques, they are also calm friendly birds, not always broody.

7. ncgnance

ncgnance Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    Stromberg's has black javas. I got a catalog last week. I've been looking for them for ever so long...www.strombergschickens.com . I have never ordered from them, though.

8. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I know Sandhill has Delawares also and I would recomend you get Delawares there, instead of McMurray for the same reason as mentioned above about the Javas.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by