1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Javelina killing chickens?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by lil jerry, Nov 26, 2012.

1. lil jerry

lil jerry New Egg

Nov 26, 2012
    Yavapai County
    Has anyone heard of Javelina killing chickens before? I am almost 100% sure that they killed at least one of my chickens.

I came home from the store about 45 min after dark. I have a portable chicken coup near my front door. I have been having javelina come around the house now for the last few weeks or more. As I pulled up I see 6-10 javelina scatter. I went to check on the chickens and lock the door to their coup, when I noticed that there are feathers everywhere. I walked around a little and found at least one dead, torn in half head still attached to the top part, near where the javelina were. Not sure how many more were killed but missing two.

Just wondering if anyone has ever heard of that before. I live in the southwest where they are pretty common and can become a huge problem thanks to people feeding them.

Thanks in advance

2. Jessie and Kade

Jessie and Kade Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2012
    Javelina can be opportunistic and will eat just about anything and therefore could eat chickens and will also feed on carcasses left behind by other animals and would be also looking for eggs. Sorry or your loss :(

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    They are made out of pork. Get yourself a hunting permit and thin some of that herd into your freezer.

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

They will take chickens if the opportunity is there. I agree with Oregon Blues. Other then that about the only way to keep them away from areas where you don't want them is a good electric fence with a hefty charger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by