1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Jax is in pain and it's breaking my heart!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by gritsar, Aug 6, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Jax has developed a bad ear infection. Yes, I have an otoscope and I know what an ear infection looks like. He's miserable and sometimes whines, which breaks my heart.

There is no such thing as an emergency vet around here. In fact our vet, the only vet I trust through trial and error, is an hour away. He will be seen asap on Monday.

What can we do to help him in the meantime? How safe is (enteric coated) aspirin for dogs, really? I read in a dog book that I could put a single drop of cod liver oil in the ear to ease the pain. Kane is occasionally licking the ear for Jax, which Jax seems to like. He lays down to let Kane do it.

I don't like to see my babies in pain. Please help. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  2. wannabchick

wannabchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    Ahhh poor baby..let me ask a friend some advice..I will get back to u
    Xoxoox

Is Jax a dog?

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Sorry, yes. Jax is a 2 year old german shepherd. He's prone to getting things like grass seeds in his ears due to their large upright size.

4. wannabchick

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    She said.. She has used drops of cod liver and has used vitamin e oil, dropped down the ears

Also 1 part vinegar and 1 part water/ squeeze bottle ..in the ear..she said it changes the balance of the bacteria and yeast that causes the ear infection

Do the ears smell? Most likely yeast ?? And to do the ear wash first..then use the cod/ or vitamin e oil

Good luck.. I know it hurts.. Personally I would also crush up some asprin and mix in something they like to eat.. Or maybe u can get her to take the aspirin.

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Oh, poor Jax [​IMG]

Imp

6. wannabchick

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    Also , no Tylenol.. Or motrin.. She said, that is poisonous to dogs.. But straight aspirin is okay.. Mix with food, so the food coats the lining of the tummy/ many times aspirin is given to dogs for inflammation.. Joint painmeds arthritis etc.. So yes. Jax is 2 years old and weighs I can only assume over 60 lbs right??

So go for it

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I'm so sorry, wish I could help. [​IMG]

8. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yes, I knew not to go with the other NSAIDs such as tylenol or ibuprofen. DH is picking up some ecotrin (enteric coated aspirin) and cod liver oil while at work tonight. Jax weighs 85 lbs.

Thanks for your replies. [​IMG]

9. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Thanks Ranchy and Imp. I passed your hugs on to Jax. [​IMG]

10. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    My GSD is going thru the same thing - I feelhorrible, all they do is clean his ear and put in some salve and send him home

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by