Jealous chickens?

mrandmrschicken

Songster
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
NW IA
Have any of you experienced one of your birds pecking or even attacking a bird that you have just picked up?
At first I thought it was an overly aggressive ee pullet, but I realized, that she would would assail the girls I picked up, as if she was jealous! I thought it was pecking order business but, I am changing my mind... it only seems to be the ones I pick up and hold or scratch. Not just the other ee's but any of the birds except two of them
Anyone?

I have 5 pullets and a roo that hatched 12 weeks ago and one of then would rather follow me around and let me hold it than be with the others. When I let her back down the little roo runs over and pecks her. I was thinking that he is telling her to stay away from me.

My roo is the same way. He doesn't so much care if I hold my RIR but if it is my BO pullet he pecks the heck out of her after I touch her. Plus he will come after me as well.
hide.gif
hu.gif

Yep - Strawberry, a pretty buff orpington, gives the other hens the stink eye and charges them after they've been held... Not sure if it s jealousy or what - but if you saw the stink eye and the charge - you'd probably agree that she seems UNhappy!!! The other hens have learned to stand still when she does that...and if they do, Strawberry will just stand with her neck and head right next to the them, stink eye set on "stun" and then walk away..
lau.gif
Cracks me UP!!! The others don't seem scared as much as just willing to tolerate the ritual...
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom