Jealous chickens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrandmrschicken, Jan 31, 2009.

1. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    Have any of you experienced one of your birds pecking or even attacking a bird that you have just picked up?
    At first I thought it was an overly aggressive ee pullet, but I realized, that she would would assail the girls I picked up, as if she was jealous! I thought it was pecking order business but, I am changing my mind... it only seems to be the ones I pick up and hold or scratch. Not just the other ee's but any of the birds except two of them
    Anyone?

2. chicchick

chicchick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2009
    Eastern Massachusetts
    Sounds like my dogs.

3. Debi214

Debi214 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    Richmond, VA
    I have 5 pullets and a roo that hatched 12 weeks ago and one of then would rather follow me around and let me hold it than be with the others. When I let her back down the little roo runs over and pecks her. I was thinking that he is telling her to stay away from me.

4. chiknwhisperer

chiknwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Lowell, IN
    My roo is the same way. He doesn't so much care if I hold my RIR but if it is my BO pullet he pecks the heck out of her after I touch her. Plus he will come after me as well. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Debi214

Debi214 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    Richmond, VA
    Quote:He doesn't come after me but gives me the "evil eye". [​IMG]

6. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    ALL the time. Rita, our smallest and bossiest hen, will attack anyone you have been holding in a squat or holding in your arms... [​IMG]

7. wingnut1

wingnut1 Crazy Bird Lady

Yep - Strawberry, a pretty buff orpington, gives the other hens the stink eye and charges them after they've been held... Not sure if it s jealousy or what - but if you saw the stink eye and the charge - you'd probably agree that she seems UNhappy!!! The other hens have learned to stand still when she does that...and if they do, Strawberry will just stand with her neck and head right next to the them, stink eye set on "stun" and then walk away.. [​IMG] Cracks me UP!!! The others don't seem scared as much as just willing to tolerate the ritual... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by