Jealous chicks.?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SammileeChickie, Mar 12, 2015.

1. SammileeChickie

SammileeChickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2015
    Southern California
    Hey everyone.! :D I hope your having a great day, today while spending time with my chicks I was holding one of them(named Birdie) and the other(named Talulah) flew up onto my hand and knocked Birdie off. So then I noticed that whenever I hold Birdie Talulah flies up at me and tries to get my attention.
    Is that normal.? Does Talulah want attention or does she not want me to hold Biride.?

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Well sure! If you hand feed your birds, if B is in your hand (possibly full of treats) then T must know what is there! If T nocks B off, "oh well", thinks T. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. SammileeChickie

Mar 7, 2015
    Southern California
    I don't hand feed yet because they are under 6 weeks so they cannot have snacks :( can't wait to give them treats here and there.!
    I just hold them and pet them so they can start getting used to that kind of attention BESIDES I CANT RESIST THEM[​IMG]

4. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    I agree with the age/treat thing but some people give snacks like little meal worms earlier as long as they get grit. It sounds like where ever B goes, T goes. no one wants to be alone! Enjoy it![​IMG]

5. SammileeChickie

Mar 7, 2015
    Southern California
    Okay :) maybe I'll start giving them grit when the younger one's wing feathers are bigger.! Do they need grit for grass.? I was thinking of taking the older one(3 weeks) outside for a bit because she sleeps less and loves to use her wings. [​IMG]
    Maybe that's what it is, I didn't really think of it that way but they do cry loudly for each other.! [​IMG]

6. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Grit is very important if they are eating grass, tough to digest. Have fun! [​IMG]

7. SammileeChickie

Mar 7, 2015
    Southern California
    Thank you for all your chicken wisdom :D I will wait for grit before they go outside
    Uummmm :( how exactly do I give them grit.? Do I mix it with their food.?

8. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    who says they can't have treats under 6 weeks old? Mine had meal worms, corn on the cob, lettuce and carrot strips from my salad bowl (before I added salad dressing). Haven't had any problems at all, and they're all active and always scratching around in the shavings.......Just wondering where you read or heard they can't have treats until that time frame? of course I do have chick grit available to them in the brooder... Also, I suppose it depends on what you consider a treat?

as for giving them grit, just put some in a bowl of some kind, I promise they'll find it and get it when they need it

I look at it like this, in their natural habitat, raised by a hen and not a human, what would they eat? they'd be out there in the yard scratching and pecking and eating bugs and anything/everything just like the rest of the chickens do. Chickens will eat pretty much anything if they're left to be themselves, even their own poo.........

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  9. SammileeChickie

Mar 7, 2015
    Southern California
    Well I had made another thread wondering what treats I could give them and people told me only their starter feed and occasionally boiled egg yolk but that's it.
    And by treats I mean like hmmm grass, meal worms maybe a slice of apple :)
    Okay so just in a separate bowl.? I think it's so cool that they just know they need these little rocks :b

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by