Jealous mumma

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by silkie-wilkie, Nov 6, 2015.

1. rooster

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. fertile eggs

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. silkie-wilkie

silkie-wilkie New Egg

Mar 18, 2015
    hi guys,
    we have bought four silkie hens who were sisters, sadly one passed away suspected brain damage,we have had them almost a year now,anyways they are part of a mixed flock with a few isa's and a brown leg horn bantam who came with our brown leg horn rooster 2 out of the three sister have had babies 6/7 hatched and 2/4 hatched anyways we have noticed the last hen "daisy" has been a big aggressive towards the babies from the first hatching and her sister "mango" when the chicks have been going into the bigger chook yard, we though it was a jealousy thing because she had not had any babies herself where her sister have, we put her in with the rooster to see if he would take her but he didn't want a bar of her. Just wondering if getting another rooster to knock her up would solve her "mummy" issues or get some fertile eggs as she is broody and sits in the nesting box on everyone else eggs.

We had to get rid of the rooster ( plus bantam hen which came with him possible brother and sister?)because he became very aggressive towards the hen , they are more calmer now.

wondering what is the best thing to do and recommendations of roo breeds which are more gentle matured.. if that is not asking too much

thanks guys [​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Chickens don't get jealous, and they don't get 'knocked up'. Hens go broody when they are ready and will do so whether or not there is a rooster present.

3. silkie-wilkie

silkie-wilkie New Egg

Mar 18, 2015
    would that just been a pecking order being established then? sorry about the term brain feeling a bit fuzzy today.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    The term "knocked up" means (in the UK at least) being mated (in this context - normally a term meaning to get pregnant)) so i do hope that they do![​IMG]

As for the aggression of the hen towards chicks - some are simply like that - I had one that was nasty towards chicks, so i got rid of her. If she is broody, you could try letting her sit - no harm in trying is there? As for a rooster - i personally consider them more hassle than they are worth - fertile eggs would be my suggestion. Roo behaviour is not usually predicted by breed - some roos are nice, others are devils!

CT
    PS - have not heard the term "knocked up" in many years - made me smile - keep your brain fuzzy[​IMG]

5. silkie-wilkie

silkie-wilkie New Egg

Mar 18, 2015
    thankyou she is currently broody and possibly sitting on two eggs and we was considering on getting the fertile eggs for the next round as the rooster was a bit of a hassle but my husband really wants one

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by